The Force

So here’s something that originally started off as a material test for this 1/16" two-layer acrylic. But as I kept designing, I wanted it to be nicer and nicer. Ultimately, this is what I came up with:

It measures 9" x 18". I’m probably going to put magnet tape on the back and stick it on something. Not really sure yet. It was a design without a purpose. :slight_smile:

Thanks for looking!

• Tom
79 Likes

Nice… cool idea

4 Likes

That is super cool! (No wonder it took so long to engrave…it’s big.) :grinning:

3 Likes

That is AWESOME! Great use of two-layer acrylic!

4 Likes

Thanks! My wife says I need to make at least 2 more if I want to take it to work and leave it there. (One for our oldest daughter and one for general home use. :slight_smile: )

Thank you! Yeah… It was about 2 hours. My original version (without the perspective change on the text) was going to be 3 hours.

Hey thanks! I honestly don’t know why that’s the first thing that popped into my head to try this stuff out with, but I’m really glad it is.

8 Likes

And all the "e"s are in place :grin:

8 Likes

Love it!! How did you eventually add the e?

2 Likes

Apparently it magically showed!

2 Likes

Yep. During the 2-hour engrave, two "e"s were missing. It went back and placed them considerably later in the etching. Something to do with things I’m not familiar with. But Dan gave some advice on it here.

7 Likes

“The Force is Strong with this One” great job.

3 Likes

I see this happen with my Shapeoko fairly frequently. Here’s my Independence Day project, a quick foray into VCarving. Appropriately enough, it was the second “e” that was was finished last, while the rest went mostly left to right.

13 Likes

Thats bizarre if it was typed all at once…obviously not unusual for separate shapes created at different times, but text is created all at once… Weird…you have a gremlin living in there maybe…lmao.

2 Likes

Thanks much! :slight_smile:

To me, that’s wholly bizarre. But apparently it’s not.

5 Likes

I dig it.

2 Likes

E is the most used letter in English. If you use a lot of them they can heat up quickly. They will engrave after cooling back off to word temperature.

15 Likes

My Shopbot does the same thing…especially on lettering. No rhyme or reason–you’ll think it’s forgotten and then it will fly over to fill in something it skipped ages ago. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Ha! Yes. That’s awesome.

2 Likes