The Leather Bag Story

@dan: Cool, thank you

The pro would need something engraved to pick up on for reference, correct?

We’ve done all the proof of concept work but haven’t productized the software yet so this answer may change, but: you cut the first half, then slide it more than halfway through, and it picks up the cuts to align the next part of the pattern.

Dan: Does the software for the Glowforge handle dashed lines from Illustrator? That makes sewing so much easier.

Chris, I would assume so as I have done that in a production setting using other laser machines and from what I see from the GF example images… My 2¢

Yes, you just need to select Object…Path…Outline Stroke before you send it to Glowforge.

3 Likes

That was my concern. :frowning: With my current workflow on the Epilog I can keep my dashed Illustrator lines as actual lines, so I can adjust them as the template changes over time. Right now I just export to PDF and the dashed lines are interpreted as individual segments (by the Epilog tool chain) without having to break them apart. Changing them to an outlined stroke is a one way move that I would like to avoid. Also, changing them to outlined strokes makes each line segment 4 lines (a rectangle rather than a slit), which makes the laser spend a lot more time cutting and heating (damaging) the material for each hole in the seam line.

1 Like

Ah! Makes sense. I’ll put that in as a feature request.

3 Likes

Thank’s for posting this @dan. I’m sorry I didn’t respond to it sooner since I asked you for it. Had issues with the payment but should go through on Monday, fingers crossed :smile:

This bag you’ve made, is just awesome. And just paper and scissors at first… I’ll definitely be making something like this :smile:

I am totally going to be getting out my bag patterns and digitizing them! My husband is excited to work with leather again. Cutting it out and punching holes to sew were the worst part. Thanks for sharing @dan!

Will this design be shared? Will all the other designs be shared? Seems like a GREAT bonus to have some awesome starter projects included!

Dan, I noticed that the cut edges of the leather on your bag are light coloured - as if the leather were cut.
I always assumed the laser would colour these edges black/dark brown when cutting - or have they been treated in some way?

I’ve been carrying that bag for a while now, so I think the light discoloration just wore off.

1 Like

When I laser cut leather I found that a good washing can remove most of the dark charring on the edges. Which is funny as I typically end up manually staining the edges darker later.

2 Likes

I love seeing projects like this because they represent a large part of the final product that isn’t on the materials list: Inspiration.

1 Like

Could you just change the stroke to dots, convert to outlines, export to pdf like usual and close without saving? Or duplicate the outlined version to a separate layer for future GF use.

1 Like

Exactly the way I handle it, actually.

What’s the reasoning behind converting to outlines? Couldn’t you just do a dashed vector line directly, as long as it had a little thickness to it?

@Brandon_R converting to outlines causes the laser to spend a lot more time on each line segment, (as each segment becomes a 4 lined rectangle which is 4 cuts rather than 1) which heats and damages the leather more than is needed. This is more of an issue on thinner leather and more heat sensitive materials.

Using dashed lines is not only easier (as you can move and change your stitching lines at any point), faster (both in cut time and design time), and a better final product with less heat damage. It’s something other lasers support, so I imagine it should not be too difficult to get the Glowforge software to support it (eventually).

1 Like

I know a lot of illustrator but I’ve never laser cut anything before. This is good info. That makes sense that it would still want to draw the circle or square needlessly.
I guess I’d have to think about a smaller point sizes or something to get aound it if they don’t change anything?