The little round box

This is an example of the boxes I have been making.

Stacked slices of 3/16" Red Cedar.

Scott Daniel

86 Likes

Outstanding work.

4 Likes

Thanks! A long way to go before I reach your level. You inspire.

4 Likes

You’re already there. You’ve just inspired an idea in me, so it’s mutual. Really good stuff.

3 Likes

Amazing! How did you get the sides so clean?

2 Likes

Sand paper. Startes with 220, then stepped up to 1500 grit. I wiped a lot of the burn off with a baby wipe first. Works pretty well.

And thank you!

5 Likes

Awesome! I have been thinking about how I could do ring boxes and this looks great!

2 Likes

Lovely!

2 Likes

Took me a minute to figure out how exactly you did this, but then again, I’ve been doing a few new designs and working my brain hard today so I’m a little slow right now haha.

I’ve always loved cedar; definitely one of my favorite woods that I haven’t worked with too much! Had a friend in an advanced cabinetry class build a display shelf out of it and it made the shop smell great. I really like what you did, especially with the 3D engrave and it definitely inspires me to want to try something like it!

4 Likes

Beautifully done.

2 Likes

Nice!

2 Likes

Lovely! :grinning:

2 Likes

Beautiful work!

3 Likes

Thank you!

Really outstanding!

3 Likes

Very nice engraving.

3 Likes

A lot of wow in a small package … Beautiful!

1 Like

How did you round the animals on the dragon and phoenix box? I’m dying to figure that out! Also, fantastic work on how clean and gorgeous everything is!

1 Like

3d Engrave / Vary Power

here’s a tutorial:

google image search “greyscale depthmap” for lots more examples.

3 Likes

That depth engraving looks phenomenal. Did you use a defocused pass to clean it up? Or is it just really high LPI?