The naysayers are being converted!

If someone has too much referrals I can give them a lovely home :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I tried to defend the cloud based software bit on one of the glowforge threads there. One of the guys actually asked what happens if I didn’t pay my internet bill :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve been in that laser fb group a long time. I wanted to do what you did, show them how great the forge is, but you got a unit before me.

One less thing for me to plan to do later, more time for me to get through my (longer by the day) list of things I want to make for myself and friends/family. (Before I buckle down and try to offset 2016’s bills with it).

7 Likes

You still gotta post stuff when you get one!

3 Likes

Throughout how bad 2016 was and how much I could use the money, I’m still holding out and have faith it is the right choice. I certainly would run the heck out of a pre-release unit, but I have not been blessed with one yet. Hopefully I’ll get some time on a forge to convert any naysayers too… But I won’t get that chance if you convert them all first :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

That will never happen… :slight_smile: - Rich

You know, I had almost forgotten the old argument over digital SLR’s. Your right, the attitude of the “insiders” regarding the new digital “toys” is almost identical to some of the attitudes regarding the glowforge. Let’s hope that ends up working out the same way it did for the digital SLRs. :smile:

1 Like

Actually it took a long while until consumer digital cameras even came close to the quality achievable by professional film SLRs. I constantly hear how “my cell phone is as good as your dSLR”. Um well for what? Sure, shooting a pic standing in bright light close up with long depth of field, yeah likely fairly close. Shooting in near darkness with fast moving subjects from far away, not a chance. But my $7000 rig isn’t competing against my iPhone 7+'s camera in anyway.

The point as you note later, is that they aren’t competing. A giant $100000 epilog isn’t competing against the GF any more than the Wazer is competing against a monster Wardjet 5-axis machine which you can walk around inside.

It’s like dinging a cessna 182 because it can’t carry as much or as fast as a C-17 Globemaster. Haters gonna hate…

15 Likes

ha! even my brand new iphone cant compete with my almost 10 year old DSLR in quality, sharpness, clarity (and it can spit out RAW). I cant imagine if I had a 5d mkIV how much different they would be.

5 Likes

I had to shoot a friend’s concert recently which the lighting at the venue was so poor, (it was a set of xmas lights hung behind the stage) and the band was really hopping all over the place. Amazing what the mkIV can pull in, especially with L-series glass. What’s interesting was it was so dark that I eventually stopped using point-focus since I couldn’t see and just turned control over in live-view mode using face recognition to do the focus. Man, that technology (the dual pixel-focus) is amazing.

7 Likes

When Canon announced the 20D, I finally felt like DSLR was ready and pre-ordered one. I got one of the first couple hundred that were delivered to Mike’s Camera in Boulder. It was incredible.
I still have it, and still shoot with it occasionally, but it is really showing it’s age at this point (in terms of resolution and speed… the body, buttons, screen, flash, cf-card slot, input covers, etc are all still in great shape despite numerous falls and plenty of time in snowy or sandy areas).

I was about to complain about the cf-card, and how everything has shifted over to sd-cards, and then a thought crossed my mind. Can’t believe I hadn’t thought to look.

Anyone used one of these? Are they wonky, or is the tech solid?

2 Likes

My Canon 5d MkIV still uses CF (although we were surprised it didn’t use CFast) as well as SD. Although I was glad I didn’t have to invest in all new cards at this point. A typical photo shoot for me might be 256gb worth, and video, well if you have to ask you don’t shoot video…

3 Likes

My video equipment is feeling pretty old at the moment, although it is all still fine quality for the marginal amount that I shoot these days.
I shoot video with a GH2 (sd), a dsr-pds150 (miniDV), and an HVR-Z7U (DVCAM/CF/MemoryStick).
I’ve also got a gy-hd100 (miniDV) and a ky-27 body with a pvv-1a BetacamSP recorder.
Also a Bolex H8, a Bolex H16, and a little Arriflex to round out the collection. They require film.

My father is a filmmaker, and passes along old equipment that he no longer uses (and has no room for at all), but can’t (or won’t, or doesn’t want to take the time to) sell. He may get better use-per-inch out of his studio than I do from my shop, but I at least I have room to store his old gear!

12 Likes

Hey at least you can say you’re shooting on Arri!

Here is me outside of the studio (at my day job) shooting a robotic case in the Thoracics OR for one of my colleagues. I shoot mostly my 5dMkIV but that day it was in use for something else, so shot on my 7d (my second body). For manual video use geared cine lenses with manual followfocus, but I have to say the auto-focus on the 5D is better than I am even with focus peaking, although that does limit me to F2.8 at any length longer than 50mm! I also have a full studio setup in my lab which has boom mikes, etc

11 Likes

Is it horrible of me that I would rather say I am shooting on a Phantom Flex? Some of my old classmates get to play with Phantoms and RED cameras all day in ridiculous locations… I refused to go live in LA, so I don’t. :frowning:
I must say, If I was gonna be stuck in hospital, I think yours sounds like the one to be in! 3D printing, full video studio, and soon glowforge! I’m lucky if I find a copy of Highlights magazine.

8 Likes

Now you’re just showing off! Jealous! 7Ds are pretty sweet too. I would love to have either of those, but haven’t spent as much time doin photography lately

1 Like

I think this is the big differential between the GF and the other machines. The GF is pulling away as a detail machine. The vast number of folks on the FB forum seem to be very production/volume oriented.

4 Likes

Yeah, well a full RED is a tad out of my price range. I was filmed for a video at Apple on 5K REDs, and the quality was astonishing (the guy kept coming out and polishing my iPad between moments, because the cameras could read my fingerprint off the grease from across the room, and they were worried that someone could get my fingerprint from this). I only shoot in HD (I mean if cropping was important then I might consider 4K, but it’s such a pain to work with). I would like an option of a full 60p full HD.

And we subscribe to a special 15-year delayed Highlights service… :grin:

My 7D is a great sports shooter with it’s insane motor-drive continuous shooting speed. For my daughter’s show jumping it’s awesome (You can get 5-6 frames when the horse is over the jump) while the 5D is a brute workhorse (love that they are both water resistant) with just amazing all around shooting. I use the 7D now as a second body with a 24-70/2.8 when I have the 70-200/2.8 loaded on the 5D for photography. Although the 7D gets a tad grainy at ISO 6400, it is usable.

3 Likes

As far as naysayers being converted, I can remember being skeptical that digital video would ever rival film, even as I was experiencing the joy of moving from linear to non-linear video editing. All other process aspects aside, I am pretty happy with the final quality that is possible from the modern digital workflow.
Here is last year’s studio reel from one of my favorite production companies, Brain Farm. They play with really cool equipment, and use it to shoot some pretty great stuff. They do pretty much exactly what I wanted to do from age 10 through 20.

2 Likes

Yea, there’s a lot more to a photo than just resolution. My old Canon 10D (6mpx) is still the best glass in the house if I’m being serious. I will say it’ nice to have a decent camera in my pocket at all time for those unexpected opportunities :smile:

1 Like