The size of the glowforge

Yep. Much, much bigger than an office printer and 55 lbs without the air filter unit. And for perspective Dan is 8 ft tall.

5 Likes

I saw this graphic when I jumped in on the pre-order. Then measured that out on the desk I thought I was going to put it on. Ended up going to IKEA and picked up a desk specifically for this machine.

Edit : This is what I got > http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40260717/#/90260710 (in grey)

3 Likes

How can that be from Ikea? It’s not called Glarber or Flarn! :smile:

6 Likes

Much bigger than I thought. Good to know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And those of us getting the filter unit will need a shorter desk!

Seriously - I was planning to get another woodworker’s bench from Harbour Freight, but realized that adding another foot and a half of equipment would require a stepstool for me to look inside!

Someone will no doubt notice that the bench isn’t deep enough either. My short-lived plan was to take a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 Baltic birch ply big enough for the GF and sit it on top with “rails” underneath to hold it in place (plus the bench has a nice grid of holes that would allow various anchor methods.

Now looking at Ikea hacks…

I opted for a bench building kit from 2x4 basics. Its basically the corner pieces and shelf supports, and you build the top to the size you want. Im going to have my x-carve on the middle shelf, with the top made to lift up half way to allow for access. The glowforge will sit on the back of the top level with the 3d printer.

This isnt mine, but an example of what someone else has made with the kit

5 Likes

Good point on the filter unit. I just purchased some industrial shelving brackets that I secured to the studs in the wall. Menards usually has some remnant countertop in the back for cheap. I see it has about 23" usable depth not (counting the backsplash) of surface space which should be sufficient. If I need to lower the height of the Glowforge, I just move the brackets down a few notches. If your bracketing runs all the way up and down, you could add some wireframe shelving above or below the Glowforge counter for all your sheet materials.

1 Like

Not to mention that if you have the filter, the GF needs to be lifted off of the filter to change out media. So shorter isn’t a bad way to go.

I’ve fallen in love with working with t-slot lately, so I’m planning on making a rolling cart out of the stuff. Easy to cut (though can be messy), fun to build and looks awesome when done!

I will probably build a custom rolling worktable for the 'forge, similar to this one that I made for applying transfer tape to cut vinyl:

I used simpson/strongtie RTC42 brackets from home cheapo (which I have just now noticed are being phased out in favor of the new RTC2Z), 4x4 legs and 2x4 stretchers. All the lumber cuts were made at the store for free, except for the corner cutouts on the lower plywood shelf. Assembly took me less than two hours, and it would have been a whole lot quicker if I’d had another person or two help. It is very sturdy, easy to move, and it can be disassembled fairly easily for storage or modification. Plus it was way cheaper than anything similar that I saw available to purchase.

5 Likes

Dat funny

Just looked into the 2x4 basics… Wow. I think I may just give it a shot!!

1 Like

Lest anyone be downcast after seeing these beautiful workshops. Here is mine. The Glowforge will not go here since the shop is at my cabin in the woods and I have not even cell phone internet. I am making progress toward cleaning up. First getting the wood off the floor and onto shelving. This is where I have begun preparing wood for the forge.

8 Likes

I’m thinking of building a rolling table out of t-slots extrusions and putting material shelves underneath. Small apartment and it’d be nice to be able to roll it out of the way when not in use.

@JLabs - have you used t-slot before? I’m going to do the same thing. Where did you buy from? Always keeping my eyes open for a good source. I’ve gotten extrusions through Amazon & hardware from Tnutz (Tnutz prices are great…service, not so much)

It is reassuring to see that I am not the only one that has to work on organization.

2 Likes

I bought one of those benches from Harbor Freight for $129 before Thanksgiving because I needed a bench of that size. Impressed with its sturdiness vis-a-vis the price. I had planned on building my own until I realized I probably couldn’t buy the lumber for the price much less my time. I already have a sturdy table (38.5 inches wide - lucky) for the glowforge and will be building a giant work table as well.

did you just call my space beautiful? :blush: d’aw shucks
to be realistic though, it is a commercial space that I have only just occupied. Not even any art on the walls yet. I’m elated every morning when I come in here and I don’t have to move any vehicles, fire up a generator, shovel any snow, or dress in layers to get to work.
For reference, my off-grid, solar-powered, no-internet, high-elevation, ultra-windy, un-heated garage/storage/workshop/studio was a quarter of the size at 500 sq ft. and had to serve many more functions for me. It would not have been possible to operate a glowforge there at all.

Couldn’t get to the welding table, couldn’t use it anyway since it had become a storage shelf.

Only two seasons up there above 9,000’: Winter and August 15th.

Floor-to-ceiling stacks of containers?
Check.
All covered in a fine mist of two-stroke oil and sawdust?
Check.
@marmak3261 if you can still see some floor and some wall space, you are doing good in my book!

If you have a true Cherokee, hood open or not, you are rich. I know some people sold cars to afford their glowforge - happy to see you made the correct financing decision.

1 Like

I agree re price/sturdiness! I use mine with my 3D printer — thought I’d have to anchor it to the wall to eliminate shudder, but the thing is rock-solid. Made sure to assemble it with wood glue in addition to the provided fasteners and have been seriously impressed.

1 Like

Glad to hear this as I picked one up on Sunday. I’ve got some cleaning and shelf building to do before I assemble it though.