The smell of fumes with the filter

i already have a small laser engraver which i built a fume extraction system it has to be carbon activated air filter this was unwanted fumes and smalls are removed. almost same as your cars cabin air filter which is based on same idea

1 Like

Moving this one back to the top… have we determined what the air filter’s full capabilities are yet? Forgive me if I missed it - does it just remove smell and smoke or can it remove toxic components as well?

Worst case example: after all precautions, I accidentally cut some material that has some PVC content, the Gloforge has the air filter, but the air filter is vented into the room. Is the exhaust air 100% safe to breathe or is just the smell of burnt plastic + particulates removed?

Important to know.

2 Likes

I’ve been reading every post every day, that’s a good thread about ducting - not the question I’m asking.

Since the air filter is designed to vent into the surrounding room, I’d like to know what the air filter actually does: remove only smells and particulates (good) …or does remove any/all toxic or carcinogenic stuff as well (great!).

Cut PVC pipe with it for an hour with the lid closed (wrong thing to do, of course) - will the air filter scrub the air that it sends into the room and make it 100% see to breathe? I don’t think I’ve seen a definitive answer to that one. @Dan?

Pretty sure: “No” But obviously not a final answer.

Main thing I am adding to the discussion is:

Even if the filters do make your air in the room safe to breathe, so much particulate will have embedded itself into everything inside your laser cutter that the air in THERE is not safe. Not to mention your machinery has all been eroded considerably.

Agreed, there’s more then one dimension to the issue. Would be great to nail down the degree of air quality from the filter exhaust, though - I’m sure @Dan can answer that one…

We’re not going to test the machine with unsupported materials, so… don’t use PVC!

We use carbon to filter the exhaust, which does address most toxins as well as odors. Again, can’t speak to byproducts of unsupported materials like PVC.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification - good to know!

I know acrylics can be stinky… so hopefully it can filter out those odors :grin:

We each got a Purex filter for our lasers. They worked amazingly well. No one complained about smells even when I was doing 1/4" acrylic. It was something like this if not this model.
http://www.purex.co.uk/shop/systems/digital-systems/400i/p-74-75-134/

3 Likes

Just a note to think about. The filter may remove many noxious or hazardous fumes but it can’t replace oxygen. You will still have to be mindful of Co2 levels in your home or business.

It likely is very minimal like a candle but I couldn’t tell you

3 Likes

The filters were champion class. @marmak3261 had started a cut on Friday and I commented how there was more smell than I expected, which led to the realization he hadn’t turned on the filter ><

After that… no scent.

4 Likes

Field test comparison on filter effectiveness!!! GO GF :glowforge:!!!

1 Like

Wasn’t the Glowforge filters though. But if the ones they are building us work as well and as silently as the Purex they had at the Faire… people will be VERY happy to use them.

2 Likes

Bummer to know that it wasn’t a GF :glowforge: filter.

Do you know what make and model of filter that was being used?

I think Marion answered this yesterday

Ouch… The nearest link I can find is $2500 for the HEPA/Chemical filter model.:heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign: :heavy_dollar_sign:

State side $2200 plus $350 shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Purex-Alpha-400-Laser-Fume-Extractor-HEPA-Filter-Fumex-Alternative-/162495164804?hash=item25d5777184:g:W6wAAOSwEgVWThWd

2 Likes

Ouch!

That looks like the one that was in @karaelena 's booth. At least it was a silver box. When I wandered by around 4:30 there was a faint whiff of burnt wood only by the :glowforge:. Considering they had probably been cutting all day (with the attendant opening and closing of the lid) the lack of laser-based smells was impressive.

1 Like

Pretty sure we had the 200i with the F6 Stage 1 filter and a HEPA main filter. Surprisingly quiet.

5 Likes