The Unsexiest Thing I Am Going To Make With My Glowforge

Love that. I may have to start figuring out how to model gears in Corel or AI.

3 Likes

Look into GearGenerator.com

5 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

This is beautiful! I know nothing about the physics of stuff like this, but I find it fascinating. And I know my engineer son-in-law will get a kick out of it, too. Thank you!

1 Like

Ooh. That gear is pretty enough that I could rethink some of my remote-controlled switch ideas…

Meanwhile, I think my real unsexiest thing is going to be a wall-mounted shoe rack for the back hall. Laser-cut slumped acrylic.

4 Likes

I want to make my own version of these bathroom stools and give them to everyone I know for Christmas.

4 Likes

I tried and tired but have failed to come up with an image of Chris Farley stomping on a flaming bag and yelling out, “It’s POOP again!!!”

4 Likes

You could do many unattractive things with gears!

6 Likes

I salute your efforts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was “Old Man” Clemens (Jack Mather), not “that damn Sasquatch” (Farley)

LOL. Yes, this is true but I’m sure Farley did it on SNL. But it is possible I’m mistaken though I know I didn’t watch Billy Madison until in the 00’s.

1 Like

Oh yes. I recently swapped out a light switch, stupidly creating a layout for which no switch plate exists, so a custom plate will probably be the very first thing my Glowforge makes.

I’ve done lots of unsexy laser projects in the past. The ones that come to mind right now are:

• Hangers to organize fabric in a file cabinet (I actually think these are mad swank, but have been informed otherwise)
  • A big ventilated box to keep tiny kittens off of the UPS
  • Felt cozies to prevent coffee syrup bottles from rattling
12 Likes

if you can’t wait there are people like these guys: http://www.kyleswitchplates.com/switch-plates-in-hard-to-find-sizes-easy-custom-solutions/

I’ve also seen an assemble the pieces. but pretty much any config except a switch and double outlet seems to be usually available

5 Likes

Here’s a parametric switch plate designer over at Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47956

The customizer app allows you to pick out the desired features and arrange them. It returns an STL file (common 3D printing format) that is easily importable into Fusion 360, TinkerCad, Autodesk 123D, SketchUp, Blender, etc. From there, generating a cut file would be quite simple.

35 Likes

@ihermit2 The new combo is outlet-toggle-decora with no chance of rearrangement, which doesn’t sound too exotic until you’ve wasted a bunch of time on the problem. Thanks for recommending that site – while I’m pretty much set on rolling my own this time, it’s always useful to know about that kind of resource.

@dwardio YASSSSS. Not only will that come in handy for the GF, but I can use it to calculate annoying 12.5% clay shrinkage ratios if I ever get around to doing any stoneware switch plates.

2 Likes

Can finally add a multimedia plate to connect NES SNES and have other connections behind the wall for wall mounted TV. :smiley:

2 Likes

This may be coming from too much time spent around architecture professors’ liberal use of the word (if I had a nickel for every time I heard one call a building model sexy…) but I think anything you design and make on your own is sexy!! Just because it needs to be functional doesn’t mean it can’t also look great- @paulw, I bet you’ll make the sexiest shoe rack ever! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

THANK YOU, I’ve often found that I wanted something a bit more Custom. Now I can just create it!

2 Likes

wow. awesome link!!!

2 Likes

My jaw dropped, my eyes got big, and my heart sped up.
There’s a silent choir singing around me.
THAT! I wanted THAT!

I’ve finished my mulitmedia wall in this house… but - Oh sweet mystery of wiring: what a glorious tool.

much like @kexline, I have made configurations that sent me trolling through the web seeking somebody else as ? as me.

3 Likes