Things MacGyver might like

Some pics of mine…most things are wrapped up an a bit hard to see…I’ve neglected a very important item: an inventory of everything…I will need to get on that. Paper disintegrates, so maybe GF the list onto a coated aluminum card in a few months!

Are these pics showing up for you guys? I am only seeing a black X here…weird

6 Likes

Yes, they show.

1 Like

Thanks! They show for me now, too…was weird for a bit…

Nice Pelican! You’ve got a lot of great stuff in there! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you! A lot of it is from Cody’s book; the 98.6 Degrees one…I’ll list out the contents once I get a chance…

And I need to add a couple of backpacks in there, or some other way of carrying things lightly & split up. The case itself weighs like 9 pounds; way too heavy to lug around if we ever had to leave the vehicle, and way too much to stuff in pockets.

jbv’s kit is awesome, too, especially for vehicle maintenance…I am going to get a bunch of those things, too.

This is the “Oh sh*t!” lunchbox…the lightest weight “grab this and run” case that I have set up. (Other kits are available in each car, and there are individual bug-out bags for family members, but those weigh in at about 45-60 lb each.) This one weighs less than my purse.

BTW - I’m not really much of a conspiracy theorist, but if you live in a place that gets periodically whacked with killer floods and hurricanes, you get into the habit of being prepared for anything, and I was really bored a few years back. This was just for fun. :relaxed:

And…here’s what’s in it:

Shelter
Wire pull saw
0.8 mm waxed twine - 20 yds
5’ x 7’ emergency foil blanket

Medication
charcoal caps
baby aspirin
thera tears eye wash
loperamide
aloe gel caps
ammonia inhalers
hydrocortisone cream packets
antibiotic packets
prep-H
moleskin
bandaids
tick twisters
temp quick disposable thermometers

Medical Emergency
alum (clotting)
crazy glue
cpr mask + instructions
tiny bead pliers (needle driver)
large bore needle
alcohol prep pads
iodine prep pads
pair nitrile gloves
antibiotic cream
sterile scalpel blades
sterile suture (various sizes/types)
needles
laminated card of family phone numbers

Games
2 small decks cards
1 printed set dominoes
piece of pencil
matchbook notepad
game rules

Food
micro stove
lures
bobbers
hooks
swivels
sinkers
fishing line
p-51 can opener
salt
aluminum foil
razor blade
Gerber knife
snare wire
laminated snare diagram

Personal Comfort
Half a comb
dental floss (lots)
mineral crystal (deodorant)
tiny soap
half toothbrush
folding fan (cut down)
earplugs
dettol concentrate (mosquito repellant/antiseptic)

Tools
Nails/Screws/Paperclips
micro screwdriver phillips/flat
knife sharpener

Lighting
micro glowsticks (40 or so, each lasts 12-14 hrs)
rave lights

Fire/Water
cotton makeup pads (flame starters)
small bic lighter
something that I have no idea what it is :laughing:
4 produce bags (water carry)
coffee filter (water strainer)
tygon tubing (solar stills)
Katadyn tablets (water purification)
magnesium rod
birthday cake candle
small fresnel lens
water filter/solar still instructions (laminated)
cotton felt liner (more tinder)
hosiery (water filter)

Navigation/Signal
Red Stripe Duct tape lining (mark trails)
magnifying glass
button compass
magnetized needles in cork (more compasses)
paper sextant & North Star diagram (nighttime navigation)
signal mirror
emergency whistle
more rave lights

Urban Emergency
micro flashlight
self-sealing tape (car hose repair)
IOSAT tablets
lock picks
bump keys
mini pry bar
3M mask
razor knife
RAD sensor card
duct tape
micro-sd cards with computer contents
micro-SD USB reader
cash

Silver Generator
photos shown above

Other
Water tap key
she-wee (just because)
3 rolls doggie doo bags (easier to carry than TP and they work the same for peeps as pets)
xtra bic lighter
microscope
monocular
sewing kit
xtra magnesium rod and striker
large trash bags (2) (ground cover/solar still/fallout shield)
cup (cut down brown Hydrogen Peroxide bottle -food safe plastic)
tygon tubing straws (for use with stills)
2 frontier water straws

The kits are kind of an on-going project for me, and I haven’t updated them since getting into the essential oils, so I’d probably modify a lot of the stuff in these with the oils. They’re a lot more effective than OTC drugs in a lot of cases.

But I love seeing what other people have done, so keep on posting pics!

20 Likes

:heart_eyes: HOLY CRAP, I LOVE THAT SET UP, AND THAT LIST! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks! Like I said - it was just a game to see how small I could get everything. :relaxed:

Wow, it’s seriously cool, and I love the separation & clear labeling; so important in an emergency to quickly find what you need, even if you have never seen that kit in your life. Genius.

Have you considered maybe finding a way to waterproof it? Pelicans are so heavy as I mentioned…maybe Ziploc bag the contents inside of each tin, if you haven’t already?

These are amazing. Him indoors says “they look pretty good, but no ones got Celox”

I do; it’s in the med kit. Both the loose grains, and the one with a plunger, for deep puncture wounds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

He will be very impressed.:slight_smile:

You can’t see it cause they’re all closed up, but anything important/dissoluble inside the tins are either laminated, vac sealed using a Food Saver, or stored in sealed straws, which also has the benefit of keeping things compact.

(It doesn’t do you much good if you have to wade through flood waters and your kit gets wet.)

This is the Food kit:

4 Likes

I keep some QuickClot in the 1st-aid tin.

1 Like

I keep a pack of Celox in each car kit - great stuff!

1 Like

Get some pistacio shells for fire starting as one match sets them ablaze. Try it and be amazed. I think it is probably due to the oil in them.

5 Likes

Didn’t know that…:relaxed:

That’s great info, did not know that!

Corn and potato chips are so full of oil that they will blaze up like a bonfire…

See the bag of jet black stuff in the bottom left? That’s home made char cloth…

Lots of water & windproof matches, ferro rods, magnesium, Fresnel lens, lighters…I might not get found for a long, long time, but I will be plenty warm all the while! lol

Btw, ever watch someone who’s never lit a fire try to do so for the first time, without any instruction? Takes them a while to realize that a match to a big log isn’t gonna produce the results they are expecting…

3 Likes

as an alternative, you could keep turmeric and iodine. great sterilizer, great clotter. most intense topical physical pain ever. I may have lost the tip of one of my fingers when I was younger and not as wise

1 Like

Of course, as a chemist, I like potassium permanganate. A few crystals (2-3) in a gallon of water can kill microbes. Make a small pile if crystals and place bit of glycerin or tree sap in the middle of the pile and you can trigger it to ignite.

6 Likes