Things MacGyver might like

Lordy! I think I’ll stick with my Bic! :astonished:

Noooooo, PP + Glycerin will burn really hot, and you won’t get that dreaded 2nd degree burn on your thumb from touching the hot wheel after you’ve had it lit for a full minute trying to light that stubborn damp tinder…

LOL, y’all know what I’m talking about…yeowch!!

1 Like

Ah, this gives me an idea for a MacGyver utility leather vest, complete with loops, pockets, pouches, etc. (a portable lab for me)

2 Likes

Could be like a Ninja…

1 Like

must be cut or decorated with the glowforge.

1 Like

My problem is coming up with the design. Oh, then, of course, I don’t have a Glowforge yet. Augh!

3 Likes

Yeah, that will be the day. Conjuring up image of Chris Farley as a Ninja. lol

Most importantly… what all can be made in the 'forge to add to, complement, or in any way better a kit?

Off the top of my mind,

Laser-etched:

• ID tags, both for kit items and for personal/medical info
  • Knot diagrams.
  • Snare instructions.
  • Morse alphabet.
  • Micro-text survival booklets/text (coupled with magnifying lens)
  • “Breadcrumb” tokens/coins

Laser-Cut:

1. Containers.
    1. Container-organization trays / dividers
    1. Paracord-winders.
    1. Leather belts, tool pockets, axe loops, holsters, molle-compatible inserts.
    1. Utility Vest
5 Likes

Oh dear…I wish you hadn’t started me thinking…:smirk:

1 Like

8 Likes

Walnut shells, too. I know from experience.

3 Likes

Sheer and amazing genius! Very impressed!

1 Like

The organization freak in me bows to you in reverence.

1 Like

Thanks everybody - I still want to see some other ideas though, I’m sure there’s a ton of stuff i left out of it, and I’ve probably got a whole cubic inch or so of space left. :smile:

(I did notice that it’s time to go through it and replace some expired items.)

That’s the problem with kits…you’ve got to keep them up. (Much less fun than the setup.)

1 Like

Yeah, going through my kits is making me cringe a little. I’ve fallen off on this sort of thing since moving off of the mountain.

Here is the minikit that goes into my hydration pack for hiking and dirt biking. It is essentially a “stay warm and signal for help” kit. It has to be waterproof and stay small enough that I will actually stuff it into my bag every time, along with the snacks, tools, and spares i carry when riding in the woods. I also always carry a peanut-butter powerbar: works at least as well as quicksteel to trail-repair a punctured radiator/exhaust/tranny-case.

It is just a little Adventure Medical setup, with a few extras: little roll of duct tape, firesteel/striker, utilikey, bic lighter, paracord bracelet. Some extra hooks and two needles added to the micro fishing kit that A.M. provided.

I switch between my folder knife and the belt knife shown based on what pants I am wearing. There is also an old leatherman that didn’t make it into this shot for some reason, but which always comes along.

4 Likes

Someone (we will mention no names) had absolutely no experience with power tools (or any tool for that matter) when he left home and may of may not have sliced a large chunk of his finger off shortening a weed-eater wire with a box cutter. lesson learned without losing finger: keep all body parts that one wishes to keep out of way of sharp and or dangerous objects

3 Likes

Most excellent! Saw the kit and thought…“Where’s the knife?” and then, next pic…there it was!

Did you knot your own bracelet?

1 Like

That gave me goosebumps! :confounded:

This one was purchased at the same that I purchased a bag of whistle/fastener clips and some rolls of paracord to make my own. I have not gotten to it: that bag is buried in my “sewing machine and asst. supplies” box. A friend of mine makes some nice paracord dog-leashes /collars, and I think that will be my next knot-ing project.

2 Likes

I did the same - i wanted to weave a bunch of tools into it, but that project got side-lined.

1 Like