Tips for buying materials at Lowe's / Amazon

I did also. Great looking stuff.
I have been cutting to size on a Need To basis so as to not waste a lot of it with little 2, 3, or 4 inch wide slabs.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Btw, do you guys keep extinguishers handy for the odd possibility of a fire? Do regular ones work? I want to make sure I’m prepared in case something crazy like this happens, this is what I have at the moment — https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-AF400-Extinguishing-Aerosol/dp/B001229JCU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521055611&sr=8-3&keywords=fire+extinguisher+for+electronics

i do have a fire extinguisher, but that’s more for “oh #$#%” emergencies, like “omg don’t burn my house down” emergencies.

what i also have is a spray bottle of water and an old tshirt that i can use to stop a small fire quickly when it flares up. i’ve used the tshirt once on some cardboard that flared up a little (because i typoed a manual setting too high).

2 Likes

There are a ton of recommendations across the threads on fire safety and I highly recommend browsing them out. Lots of good tips.
My short answer is have an Extinguisher (Halotron has been recommended because using it has less chance of destroying your Forge), and for smaller flares: a damp cloth and a small spray bottle with water.
And the most important component of fire safety: Your Attention. Especially when cutting paper and cardboard: Don’t Stop Watching.

1 Like

Well now I feel stupid as I just cut 4 inches off the end of multiple pieces. Of course if you saw my woodshop you’d know how many times I’ve done that as I’m a wood pack rat!

1 Like

I bought a Halotron because I don’t potato around with fire safety.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, which states plywood is prized for its dimensional stability, most plywood is not flat and much of what is flat won’t stay that way forever.

From a wood working standpoint, it can be drawn flat with joinery. And dimensional stability really means it does not expand or contract ad much as regular wood, which makes it good for some things like doors and panels .

You can push it flat and leave it that way witgg weight on it, and sometimes that helps. The biggest help is to work with the smallest possible pieces so you are cutting as much of the warp out of it as possible.

Brian

1 Like

while this is true, there is not flat and there is extremely not flat. like set a 12x12 board down on a flat surface and see a more than 1/2" bow in it not flat.

that said, it’s way worse on the universal because it has an aluminum crumb tray. that means no magnets. and why i like the GF’s steel crumb tray.

1 Like

Yes, but so far I have managed to catch cardboard on fire and a piece of parchment paper that whirled up, up and into the laser. I used a damp cloth for the cardboard and my hand for the parchment paper. I’m fine and so is my glowforge. The fire extinguisher is just around the corner from the glowforge in the kitchen, so it’s a two phoenixes with one metal canister kinda thing. As shop said, if you need a fire extinguisher the glowforge is toast, but you can still save the house.