Toy Helicopter with moving blades

I have not. But I have learned that material width is very important. You want to make sure the material is as close to 1/8" as possible.

Thank you for the quick reply and for you cool design. I’m in need of a gift for my grandson and I’ve left myself no time.

If you don’t mind answering one more question, in general, do you know if gears work as well with acrylic as with wood?

1 Like

Actually, I have found that my gears work even better in acrylic! I have not tried the 90 degree turn with the acrylic gears, but all other gear tests have been better in acrylic.

The press fit connections have been more difficult in acrylic though. I have been using Draftboard for the press-fit pieces. Acrylic is just not as forgiving when compressed.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by press-fit pieces (rank amateur here)? Does that mean the pieces into which you insert other pieces to hold the thing together?

1 Like

press fit means that you don’t need glue. the parts are sized such that you “press” them together and they all stay assembled.

1 Like

Correct. If the material is under 0.125" it can still work, but glue might be necessary. If the material is over 0.125" it might not work at all, or at least be really difficult.

I have learned that just because something “claims” to 1/8" doesn’t mean that it is exactly that… I have ran into issues with materials that were thicker and thinner and all “claimed” to be 1/8" (or 0.125").

I understand you completely. I have encountered the same issue numerous times. I appreciate you so much for taking the time to discuss this with me!

2 Likes

No problem! That is why I enjoy hanging out on this forum, to help others (and learn myself). :wink:

3 Likes

I decided to make the helicopter out of cherry plywood and add some engraving. I love how it turned out. I added a pallet to suspend from it, attached with a carabiner so it’s removable, so my grandson can tow his trucks, etc. around. (I modified the pallet coaster design in the catalog to make it a little smaller.)

2 Likes

Here’s a picture.

10 Likes

Now that’s cool!

1 Like

As a retired helicopter pilot, I approve of your work. Nice job!

1 Like

Well, thank you! And thank you @bill.m.davis for the terrific design and your helpful guidance.

1 Like