Trace, Resize & Quick peek of the Glowforge UI

+1 on that!

1 Like

We now know that one of Dan’s earlier jobs was NOT drawing caricatures at an amusement park or fair…:confused:

4 Likes

Brilliant on so many levels. Thank you for this!!!

1 Like

Yes this would be extremely helpful. Awesome suggestion

Did @dan Glowforge a Glowforge badge of himself? The image in the bottom right at 0:57 is a Dan Badge (in the image library) I believe. Does the GF team have GF made badges :thinking::grinning:

1 Like

Please let me know if I’m still not answering your question…

You open the app in your web browser. You click ‘upload’ and upload a file, like your Inkscape SVG. Then you’re picking up from the start of the video. So, in a nutshell, the first step you list above, plus the web interface; all the rest you don’t have to work with.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Our alignment is good but will get much, much better before we ship. There’s some amazing image processing + physical modeling going on that I won’t share, but our resident machine vision PhD is all over it.

No, but it’s trivial to make some out of plywood or acrylic if you want hard references.

Of the UI - not the hardware. Sorry if I was unclear.

I was playing around with it before concluding that, as mentioned previously, I have just enough artistic skill to humiliate myself, no more.

15 Likes

And yes, you have answered my question many times over in so many ways. Thanks. Spending a few hours fiddling with alignment of a cutting mat and unequally dimensioned cardstock is making me so eager to have the camera positioning and the ProofGrade of Glowforge in my hands. And the architecture/OS agnostic aspect of the Glowforge is a huge plus for me. Can’t wait to see all the things you all have in store for us.

5 Likes

Is the camera the only way to align a work piece? As you mentioned, I would definitely make hard rulers for reference, but that is only valuable if there is some way to ignore camera alignment and set a purely coordinate-based position for the start of a cut.

4 Likes

Actually it was a failure on my part that I didn’t specify the rulers were on the UI.

You were clear, it was I who was in the fog… :no_mouth:

You absolutely need to change it’s cutting parameter from outside in, to inside out.

That would be great

+1 to this question.

(Just incase my camera fails out of warranty)

Holy poop, that is AWESOME! Thanks so much for that; so great to see exactly how it all works…a video is worth a million words.

thanks @dan for the video … i almost never post there but this video made me more comfortable with my purchase and i can’t wait for move videos … maybe you can show us some acrylic or leather next

2 Likes

There should be some really, really cool videos soon out of Maker Faire. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

There’d BETTER be ! :grinning:

wish I were going…

1 Like

My CAM software, Meshcam, allows one to add “tab” features that do what you are suggesting. The TAB is added geometry that connects the part to the stock it was milled out of. It is helpful for several reasons, but also when flipping a part over for 2-sided machining.

3 Likes

Good suggestion! (Didn’t realize that CAM software had that ability! I was just drawing it in.) :slight_smile:

OMG Fractal face.

3 Likes

Holy User Interface Batman. I will make all the things. ALL OF THEM!

Also Dan should totally do some Voice Over work on the side.

5 Likes