Trailhead signage - wood suggestions?

If you go with the ply, you’ll definitely want to coat it with spar…I finally had some swelling on one of the items that I built a year ago, that got exposed to a wet sponge every day. (Deliberately didn’t coat it to see what would happen. It did just what @dan said it would if left uncoated. It swelled up where it got wet.)

Took a long time, but it is sensitive to humidity. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t use PG ply - the core will suck up water from rain or just humidity.

My aesthetic would call for cedar planks - the ones used for cooking fish/etc on a grill work great. They come in different thicknesses and sizes.

You could leave them unfinished and they’ll turn grey over time. Or spray it with spar urethane. It’ll be really stable and not seriously expensive. You can get them in a size you wouldn’t have to cut before/after so that step would be skipped. You wouldn’t have to finish sand it either.

I’d think it would fit the trail motif.

6 Likes

Thanks @jamesdhatch and @Jules I’ll be on the lookout for cedar planks. I think home depot has them in the grilling aisle. What about the PG hardwood? I know it’s only 6"x12", but that might not be enough.

That’s the biggest issue. You can likely find local suppliers of hardwood in larger sizes. You’ll need to finish it afterward for most hardwoods - using something like Spar Urethane to help weatherproof it. But unlike cedar or redwood, it will need re-treatment or it will degrade over time outside.