Tray puzzle 1

These are the svg save settings that I have found to play nicely with discourse.
(use Save As or Save Copy, not export)

6 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Updated design. Took out a stray path off the artboard that was stuck in the original.

There are several ways of dealing with this file. If you want different colors for the pieces, you can keep the pieces separate and have their paths colored differently and just cut the pieces you need from the different wood. But in the end the most efficient use would be to cut three sets of pieces from three different kinds of wood and then mix and match them. Once again, a fourth color of Proofgrade plywood would make a difference so we could solve the four color map problem and get a different colored edge.

Since there are only three types of Proofgrade, this simplifies the design greatly. I went ahead and removed all the double lines, including the inner line of the frame. That gets cut by the lines of the pieces. So You have only three operations. The one set of pieces and frame. The base and then the engrave.

I rotated 45 degrees to save material. That extends the engrave time a little, but it only took 5 minutes to do the whole thing.

s

17 Likes

Hahaha, and you also lost those tiny squares… Never found one of them (will step on it at some point to hilarious lego-effect…)

4 Likes

Did you remove the double lines? Illustrator seems to have that feature. I didn’t look in Inkscape and did it manually. The little diamonds went into the crumb tray.

2 Likes

No because I wasn’t looking (and didn’t recut, since I had to get back to making cat steps tonight), but now that I know, I can retry tomorrow.

By the way Titebond III seems to bond to Parchment Paper somewhat! I didn’t know anything stuck to silicone!

2 Likes

Missed your post while I was printing my version and writing it up! Sorry.

1 Like

Oooh, I wonder what this would look like in multicolored acrylics? I got a whole slew from Inventibles… Have to try that (got your SVG since it’s already deduped)

3 Likes

I was thinking of that too. I have several different colors at the moment but they are different thicknesses. I need to do a set in the clear 1/4 acrylic. That would be nice. In fact. I might as well do that now. I just got a slew of the chemcast again yesterday. It’s beautiful. Turns out it is from a custom lighting shop that uses acrylic in their lights and these are their offcuts. I’ve encouraged him to check out the Glowforge. He uses a CNC router for his acrylic. He needs a Glowforge to use up all the waste!

1 Like

That’s how i imagined it!

Thanks Marion, you answered some of the questions i asked in my post on Henry’s thread.

And remember, you’re not meant to keep the little squares and things in the puzzle, just the nine pieces.

2 Likes

Oh, NOOOOOW you tell me…

7 Likes

Ha ha! :smiley:

I’ve updated the .svg and .ai files so that there are now no overlapping lines. I’ll delete the one at the top and add them there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha! So hard to do with Proofgrade. When you have a Glowforge you never toss any piece, no matter how small! It’s precious, precious.

4 Likes

I actually redrew the whole thing because it was quicker than faffing about looking for dupes - and I wanted longer cut lines than Illustrator would have given me on its own. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh, super cool! I want to try one of these.
Or all of these.

6 Likes

So excited that I was able to use this design at Maker Faire. @ian’s tray puzzles were the model I pointed to for folks to use the forum for free laser designs. Kids especially were fascinated by the puzzles.

One thing to note is that they pick up the puzzles and turn it over and don’t know that it’s all free. All the pieces fall out and now they have to stand there and put it back. That was interesting, but embarrassing for a few folks. I gave the puzzles away at the end.

11 Likes

Finally got to cut this one from acrylic…fun little puzzle.

Ok I lied…couldnt do it without cheating…lol

24 Likes

I love it in the colors!

4 Likes