Trebuchet build

so how many people forwarded the new video to the significant other and said see its real

4 Likes

I mean, I forwarded it to everyone I know, but mostly because “OMG MY TREBUCHET IS FAMOUS!”

23 Likes

Awesome video (and we now know Dans head can almost fit inside a glowforge!!!). I just keep thinking of creating velcro or “sticky” cows then aiming at a top view target of a castle. See who can land the cow in the well. With the hassle of cutting anything with my K40, seeing how much friendlier the GF will be makes me soooooo anxious!!

Actually I guess you could actually cut out and assemble a 3d castle and aim for the well inside the walls.

3 Likes

Oh… another very kewl thing about this video was how it showed one of the real “reasons” behind the GF. That is, using the tool to make a tool. “I need something to hold my camera up while filming…”- A minute or two in the software - then cut it out- you now have a stand. Sure Dan could have grabbed a can of olives and propped up the phone to film the cutout. ( You all have a can of olives in your workshop - right - I mean WHO doesn’t :smiley:?)
I’m sure almost everyone who watched this video thought this ( but a lot of us almost forgot after seeing that kewl trebuchet in action - or “cowtosser” as it’s called in the states - I won’t say what states…).

5 Likes

In the video, it looked like all the ‘inside’ cuts- like the tabs and circles cut out of the larger pieces- were all being cut prior to the larger pieces they were bounded by. Usually I get this to work by running separate prints, but in the video it looked like all the cuts happened in a single run. Does the glowforge allow some way of noting which cuts to make first so that these types of inside cuts won’t be out of focus if larger pieces drop out of alignment once cut?

8 Likes

I was wondering this, too, but I know too little about laser cutting to know how to phrase the question. Thanks for asking.

2 Likes

thats a neat idea. i had been thinking along the lines of beer pong, but with little destructible “castles” instead of cups. players (or teams) take turns trying to take down the opponents structures.

come to think of it, the trebuchet could be used as is for beer pong…

1 Like

I think I saw mention of controlling the order of actions by color. It’s a common technique in other laser software. I color the lines by the order I want them cut and then tell the software what order to process the colors. I thought Dan mentioned being able to do the same with the GF.

1 Like

Oh, nice! I knew you could control the type of cut by color but I never knew the order in which they’re cut could be controlled as well. Thanks! :grin:

Very handy. My Silhouette vinyl/paper cutter also has this function and I use it to ensure that all detail work is completed before the outside cut is done. Sometimes necessary when cutting small pieces that may shift if cut from the larger base of material.

1 Like

Most lasers let you control all the parameters for each color line - engrave (raised it sunken), cut, power, speed, acceleration in & out of corners, order of operation, etc. Those all are a lot to worry about when you’re first starting out but it allows you to fine tune your project’s cut and engrave operations.

It’ll be neat if GF adds focus controls too - I like to defocus or change focus for different effects. Without dynamic focus control it means sending the job in pieces instead of all at once.

1 Like

Right now, you can make cuts different colors and drag-and-drop them to reorder. Somewhere in the feature hopper is automatically ordering steps (and setting paths) optimally.

Yes! We have some cool functionality in mind for that too.

10 Likes

I would say that I’m shocked I never got around to testing all these parameters, but after remembering one time when the laser cutter freaked and kept running back and forth along the same path non-stop when I tried doing multiple line color settings in one print, I can’t say I’m too surprised I stuck to the basics :joy:

Awesome!! Thanks for the info :smiley:

3 Likes