Trying something new

I’m looking forward to leather, among other materials. I’m not that crafty, but always enjoyed working with leather before. I also have a Tandy and a couple other leather shops not too far away.

3 Likes

I appreciate the tip. That will work great for a straight tie-on bracelet, or even with a snap, but I also recently tried a ‘mystery braid’ bracelet and found a calculation for allowing for the extra material taken up by the braid. It said measure wrist (7"), add 1"x 1.3. That came out to 10.4"…which was huge when I got finished! Do you know any better calculation for a braided bracelet?

1 Like

Just showed my wife. And I was telling her how much I appreciate you diving into new mediums and being so awesome at them!

Nice work! Can’t wait to see what increased leather experience brings you!

1 Like

So, looking a little more. Obviously, we don’t want the chromium-tanned leathers. Would oil-tanned leathers likely be ok?

1 Like

The only thing I actually know for certain is that we can use veg.tanned. I have no knowledge other than that. Perhaps make a post to @morganstanfield who is one of our resident leather experts. I’m sure there are others, but names don’t come to mind.

2 Likes

Search is your friend. An old thread with answers:

Dan says oil tanned leather is a ‘hot mess’. Be sure to google on ‘hot mess’.

3 Likes

Mental note…hell, written note:

search.
Search.
SEARCH!!!

before asking a question and making yourself look dumb.
:laughing:

1 Like

There are no bad questions. Just bad searches on the internet.

11 Likes

Thanks for linking that search. I should have done that.

2 Likes

Glad to be of use. The only reason I don’t start topics is because all of my questions have already been answered in some old thread! Ya just got to wade through some slop. But my species enjoys that.

8 Likes

Oops - that would be 9.1 :hushed:

3 Likes

It says something about Hooterville, a luau with a pig roast :scream:
(or maybe that was a different search)

3 Likes

Yup. That was Uncle Bonsai. We miss the old coot to this day.

3 Likes

Take the one you have that too big, measure the right size then unravel it??

3 Likes

Uh…I’m no mathematician for sure, but show me, please! 7+1=8. Multiply 8 x 1.3 and it comes to 10.4?

Ha ha! duh…I’ll try that. I’ll let you know. Thanks. :relaxed:

1 Like

Did it say add one then x 1.3 or just x1.3?. ( I thought it was just multiply by 1.3)… sorry :no_mouth:

1 Like

That’s OK :smile:… ha ha! Easy to mis-see that! You did have me recalculating it a few more times though…it wouldn’t be out of the question for me to mess it up.

2 Likes

That is what I intend to use my GF on when it finally arrives, leather work, and put some of this leather to good use. Once I see the results I could put some of the leather for sale. We are using a clicker or exacto knives to cut currently.

37 Likes

Where did you score so much leather scraps?

Do you have a leather works shop next to you?

2 Likes