Tube replacement saga - let's vote!

one phase of 480v makes 277v (give or take a few volts)

In one hand and out the other.

1 Like

Ok gotcha

1 Like

I bet that was a little more exciting than an electric fence lol

2 Likes

Did the same 400V 300 cycles across from one hand to the other. After the knockdown jolt I felt sick for 12 hours.

Yall need to start living right. 40 years of working with trons and no major zaps. (knocking on wood now)

2 Likes
3 Likes

I was lucky and I didn’t grab onto it. I was working on a test stand and had the power locked out. Found out AFTER the incident they had a seperate feed for 460v.

1 Like

Out of likes. That cap REALLY packs a punch! In my case the monitor had been unplugged for a week before I personally discharged it!

2 Likes

my father got my sister to consistently “test” the electric fence growing up.

5 Likes

My cousin peed on one when we were little lol

3 Likes
7 Likes

One year (of my early teens) while visiting the grandparents in Iowa at their farm, we would walk the corn to weed out the rows. The cow pasture came right up to the corn and was only separated by a 120v electric fence.

Since there was no outhouse in the back 40, I decided to relieve myself away from everyone else who were still walking the corn. Being a “city” boy, it did not dawn on me how much juice was necessary to keep the cows out of the corn. Needless to say, as the stream and the wire crossed paths (Ghostbusters warning going off), I was glad my bladder emptied quickly. Could not point in a different direction nor shut off the stream because all the muscles locked up and were unresponsive.

13 Likes

That is what my mother would call a "self correcting behavior"
Edit: actually she learned that phrase from a relevant situation. She was taking a taser training course. At some point you have to “hot swap” as there’s a few situations when you’d be using a taser that might cause you to quickly load a new cartridge and shoot again(missing or failure to fire or what have you). Instructor warned not to touch both leads. Well. Not everyone was careful. Self correcting behavior. The careless man will never touch both leads again

5 Likes

Your avatar tells the story pretty vividly. The old subconscious…

5 Likes

Results are very telling.
Thanks to everyone who participated…

1 Like

OMG - That moment when you know you’re going to die, and you hope it doesn’t take long!

2 Likes

…yep – when we ran a one strand to keep the goats in, we ran it at nose height to get their attention (and mercifully higher than the dogs good relieve themselves). This is one of those reasons in the city you never let your dog go on a street lamp post – if there is a short, it will be an unpleasant surprise.

3 Likes

Was doing Cat5 cabling and some electrician had left a dangling line in the ceiling grid(not tile in it yet) that 240v popped me off a ladder. Only a few feet jump. About 6 years ago. Still have the tiny scar from the burn.

Also: to elaborate on the now defunct poll: pie. Pie should always be a choice. Never :cake: as it’s a lie and we all know it!

1 Like

i’ve always had a healthy respect for electricity ever since i plugged the christmas tree in by the prongs when i was 4

3 Likes

Ouch!

So last week my 8 year old son and I did “manly man” things around the house. Replaced some A/C receptacles and light switches that hadn’t been working properly (for years). So I tell him… “First thing we do when working with electricity is turn off the electricity in the area we’re working on.” I show him the circuit breaker box, and how each switch is numbered, and then there’s a chart that shows which switch controls which electricity. I let him flip the switch for the living room since that’s where we decided to start. We go up, the living room’s dark, the electronics are off. Clearly we’ve flipped the correct switch. I unscrew the receptacle and I continue discussing the dangers of electricity, when all of a sudden I scream “Oh, WTF?!” and drop the receptacle. My son looks at me with surprise “Are you okay?!” I said “Yeah, I just got shocked and now I feel stupid for not showing you the silly little A/C line tester. It should be your final check before working on an electrical outlet.” Turns out that ONE outlet in the whole room… is on another circuit. We went back downstairs and got the silly little yellow line tester. :slight_smile:

13 Likes