Tube replacement saga - let's vote!

Coolant connections could be luer lock (push and twist) or something the 1/4-28 threaded fittings used on HPLC. The last sort are made from PEEK which tough, temperature stable and inert. There are options for the coolant too tbh.

Agreed.

1 Like

Thanks. So, in reality, this issue is only an expectation of those of us in the forums. A large part of the purchasing base will not have had this expectation as they don’t frequent the forums.

It is unfortunate that it was stated here as a factor that in fact cant’ happen at this point. It speaks strongly to not sharing information with the buyers of the unit until it is released and shipping.

On the one hand we have unprecedented access to the inner workings of the company during the creation of the machine, and on the other we have expectations dashed when certain things they were planning that we were told about don’t pan out.

All in all, most companies would share nothing more than what is on their web site and periodic updates about release and shipping dates. No pre-release and beta test information, no features being worked on and possibly developed, no progress reports on cameras, power supplies, tube malfunctions, materials results, etc. Just exactly what they have made publicly available on the web site, and the rest can come out once the machines are shipping

So, it is quite a conundrum. Do they continue to share with us on this level and risk further backlash and disappointment, or stop sharing anything further until such time as the machines are going out the door? I for one would be very gun shy about saying anything further other than 'Hey, the basic units are now shipping and the Pro models will begin_____________". No answering questions about features not mentioned in the press releases and the web site. No end-user contact about what may or may not be possible. To quote Jack Webb. “Just the facts, ma’am.”

The instantaneous nature of social media is such that any other course can lead to a very harsh and unforgiving backlash, as these forums prove.

I, for one, am still looking forward to my Glowforge, and I expect it to be and do exactly what it is and does when it arrives on my doorstep. Everything else up to that is just speculation.

1 Like

In general, I think Dan has been pretty cautious about not providing information on something he wasn’t certain would be a part of the final product. Of course, everything is up for change until units ship, but I’ve seen him say he wasn’t willing to comment on things he couldn’t guarantee plenty of times. It’s just unfortunate that this was one he had to go back on since it has such a big financial impact for so many people.

I know it must be a rough day for him and his team and I feel for them. It’s a bad day for a lot of the customers, too, especially the international customers. It just sucks all around.

Regardless, I am excited for my machine, even if the worst case scenario of having to mail the machine in for tube replacement every couple of years ends up being the final solution. Even with the downtime and cost to do so, the amount of time I will save on projects because the Glowforge is so user friendly (by all reports) will be enough to offset it. I mostly hope they come up with another solution for those customers that find this issue to be a deal-breaker.

2 Likes

Absolutely continue. It gives them the opportunity before they have 10,000 units in trucks to solve a potentially explosive problem. If they wait until it hits your house and then have 5,0000 people calling to bitch it’s too late. Sharing the info now and hearing those 5,000 people (or a pro-rata share based on forum users vs the overall pre-purchase population) before they’ve got all those machines in flight provides a window to success. They can chose not to avail themselves of that but it’s there.

2 Likes

I understand that – absolutely. I think that is the job of beta testers, and in this instance, the very cool position of pre-releaser. Those folks – professionals, industry bloggers, seasoned laser users, novices – work through all that stuff, find the bugs, the problems, the successes, what works, what doesn’t, what the machine will be in the end. They are really the ones who will help guide the company to success.

The rest of us are just watching from the sidelines. We “Monday-morning-quarterback” and comment from the outside looking in, not part of the team playing the game. To use the sports analogy, could you imagine a coach announcing his next play to the audience in the stands and at home, and then have it not work as he/she intended?

I’m guessing it kind of feels like this tube issue right about now.

If it was information on something they were trying to build in, but hadn’t shared publicly and it didn’t work out, yeah it makes sense to keep quiet. When it was something that we were told would be in place, they are really obligated to let us know if that status changes, as it has a major impact for people decided whether to provide Glowforge with a shipping address or cancelling their order when the time comes.

People have mentioned emailing Glowforge to see if they could replace the tube at home before ordering and were told they could. Hiding that because of fear of backlash would be very dishonest. It’s better for them to take the backlash and potential cancellations now then have it come out down the line that they lied and hid something like this. The backlash then would put this to shame.

2 Likes

Similarly, I have photo strobes for studio use, and they actually have buttons on the backs of the units labeled “DUMP” which allow the high voltage side to be bled/dumped before putting away for storage after powering down. In this case they actually fire the strobe but any resistance will foot the bill (as long as its not the user).

Could be a similar, very simple circuit added into the Glowforge that bleeds off the high voltage as soon as the access panel is removed.

3 Likes

That’s what I always equate it to. Having to discharge the anode of an old CRT. Ive heard many stories of the people who didn’t know they held a charge. Not something I want to experience.

Also not something a standard glowforge user is going to have experience with or know to look out for. Definitely not fun times.

4 Likes

I think you misunderstand me.

I don’t think they should hide anything – ever (honesty and authenticity are core essences) – just don’t answer the question in the first place.

Just say something to all inquiries like: “Please see our web site for all specifications. We will take into consideration this feature (capability, issue, etc.) as we continue to refine and complete the Glowforge for the production line, and announce any additions or enhancements to the stated specifications as we begin shipping the Glowforge to customers. Thank you for your patience. We truly appreciate your interest in the Glowforge.”

1 Like

I guess my confusion has come in on what questions exactly they shouldn’t be answering. Unless you meant they shouldn’t have answered questions before, in which case, perhaps, but too late to fix that now. Haha

1 Like

Yep – that horse is definitely out of the barn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So here’s a quick and true story…

Was talking on the phone to a friend. Was also trying to repair my dying computer monitor. A CRT, as you may have guessed. So we’re chatting and I see these sort of rings on the tube and a bunch of other things I knew nothing about. And I don’t do much in the way of fiddling with them.

Next thing I know I wake up on the floor. The monitor’s next to me. The phone’s next to me. I hear the faint sound of “Hello? Hello?” I pick up the phone. I had no idea who was on the other end and said “Hello?” She said “Are you… okay?” I said “I don’t know. Why do you ask?” She said “I don’t know. You were talking, and you said ‘Hey what’s this suction cup?’ then I heard a loud pop and then some weird sounds and then nothing.” I said “Oh really? Hey let me call you back.” And I a called a friend who worked at a computer repair shop and said “Hey I’m trying to fix my monitor. What’s the suction cup?” He shouted “Yeah don’t touch that!” I said “Too late.” He said “And you lived?”

For quite a while I became known as “Monitor Man” when I walked into that computer shop.

11 Likes

It’s always “fun” when you wake up and people are screaming “OMG are you ok?”

5 Likes

ya… back ins I don’t know 97 or 96 I was in a class for electronics repair and that was day 1 hour 1 never touch this on a monitor it will kill you

2 Likes

Thing is this is part of what was advertised and people paid for…to have such a major component dropped and mentioned in the update as a byline with no thought out strategy, speaks volumes

4 Likes

Similar story… In high school 30 years ago, I took electronics as a technical stream. One of the class assignments was to do some work on televisions. For the unfamiliar: You’re supposed to attach an alligator clip onto a screw driver shaft, which is connected to the frame/ground… and then slip it under the suction cup and drain the stored charge of the tube before you can safely work on it. The workbenches were all against one wall along what was more of a hallway than a classroom, because you didn’t need much space behind you only what was in front of you.

Fellow student next to me clips his screwdriver and attaches it to ground… starts to maneuver it towards the cup before I can fully shout, “KEEP YOUR THUMB AWAY FROM THE SHA–” and goes flying back into the concrete cinder blocks behind him, knocking himself out cold.

He lived, but had a lovely lump and brutally scorched thumb from the partial discharge through him.

4 Likes

bet he didn’t do that again :smiley:

I have been nailed on the arm by 460v, it was like getting hit with a baseball bat. Huge knot on my forearm radiant paint for a while.

Edit: on a side note 277v is an odd voltage, what did you happen to be shocked by?

2 Likes

Ha! He wound up finishing the term, surprisingly enough. I never found out if it was the shock or the concussion that knocked him out, however… :thinking: