Tutorial - Creating a Depth Map from a 3D Model for 3D Engraving!

Had a couple of surgeries in the last week, so pretty much bedridden atm =/. This just gives me something to do when conscious lol. Im sure some intrepid pre-releaser will try this out soon =)

15 Likes

Yikes! Rest up and heal quickly.

8 Likes

Really hope you start feeling better soon. Even from your bed you are still giving of your time, knowledge and experience! Props to you.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Yep, surgeries are no fun - hope you’re back up and about soon.

2 Likes

Does anyone know of a way to reverse this process? I’ve had a few occasions where I’d like to turn something like a topographical map into a .stl for 3D printing and have had a hard time finding a successful way to do that (although to be fair I haven’t yet checked out the response to a similar question in the topographical map thread - not on a device with youtube video capabilities atm and thought someone browsing this thread might have an idea as well).

1 Like

I know there is software that can do it. Dunno it’s name though

Sorry to hear about the surgery, hopefully the issues that forced it are gone and you won’t have the problems anymore!
My major back surgery gave me my life back!

1 Like

How can you post a tutorial like this without posting the resulting engrave?!? That’s just teasing! :wink:

7 Likes

Hehehe, yeah, but he is in post surgical recoup. Obviously he was excited enough about the technique that he was compelled to share it.
Could have been by design, look at the anxiety to see it accomplished! Bait the forum and watch what happens. :no_mouth:

3 Likes

If only we could get native support from glowforge ui. But then again, hatemail from @Hirudin is my reason for living.

4 Likes

It’s not ideal, but openscad will turn a depth map (greyscale) into a 3D surface. And then when you try to do anything with it your computer will fall to its knees. for hours.

3 Likes

The long way about it would be to trace the contour lines with a CAD program, then set each line at its specific elevation, and use the CAD program to loft the contours into a solid shape. Fusion360 would allow you to do this.

You can also look up GIS Modeling, which uses existing digital topographic map data in an online database to make models.

3 Likes

Thanks…and now I’m counting calendar days again for some reason. Ha

1 Like

Hey maybe it’ll happen!

While we’re on the subject, I hope they add a hatemail feature to the Glowforge UI.

3 Likes

Native support for what?

1 Like

My guess is native support for 3D models directly within the GFUI.

I’m going to pronounce that “Gah-Fooey” because it’s fun to say.

3 Likes

Once 3D is enabled, you could go direct from 3D model to a bunch of properly beveled slices…

Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing it with us! Bookmarked!!

1 Like

Feel better soon, and thanks so much for sharing. This is far simpler than the method I was trying, using photos and arcane software to turn them into depth maps. My efforts thus far have been unusable, but pretty in their own weird way. Can’t wait to try this out!

2 Likes