Use vinyl transfer paper as masking for non-proofgrade materials

LOL!!! True! I do see a lot more memes than gifs from these social media teens!

uhm…vinyl = okay

it’s when you mix the C (chloride) as in PVC that it’s bad.

Though I could be wrong but this is what I’ve read up on states.

2 Likes

That’s correct. It’s just that some significant portion of what is advertised and talked about as just “vinyl” is actually PVC. Like that vinyl record you want to engrave.

Many times vinyl transfer film isn’t vinyl at all. It’s something else for transferring vinyl, but best to find out before lasering.

2 Likes

From Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_polymer:

In popular usage, “vinyl” refers only to polyvinyl chloride (PVC).

I procured some of the 592u material and it is difficult to get it to stick to raw birch plywood and Danish Oil coated birch plywood. I have a roller made for pressing veneer and Formica during gluing that is useful for pressing the paper down and getting out bubbles.
Has anyone else use this material successfully and have and tips?

I use a credit card to squeegee the paper down onto the birch ply…I have to be aggressive and run the card over the surface several times to get all the bubbles out and to adhere the paper. Then I trim the edges with a razor blade. Seems to work for me.

1 Like

The rubberish/soft plastic squeegees used for applying vinyl work well. You can get them for around $1.

3 Likes

Happy cake day @smcgathyfay

1 Like

Ditto this! Happy 2nd Day of the Cake @smcgathyfay ! :grinning:

2 Likes

The 592 is very low tack and I’ve had a few issues pop up as I’ve used it more. I am working on paper, mainly, but have had a couple times where even though the masking was very evenly and firmly stuck down at first, the air assist picked up a corner and the masking blew halfway off during the cut.

I think that the stickier one (582?) might be the better option.

1 Like

I am using 582 and find that if I squeegee it down really well, it does not lift during the cutting operation, and weeds easily.

Having used both transferrite and perfectear now, I prefer the perfectear. It cuts and weeds way more easily, the glue isn’t as “gummy”.

I have yet to try it on a wide variety of materials but it’s great on unfinished wood.

3 Likes

Oh no, I missed your Cakeday! Hope it was happy.

1 Like

@joker, I just confirmed online that 592U is high tack and 582U is medium.

I just ordered two 12" wide x 100 yard rolls for $65 + shipping. The place I found cuts down from 48" wide and won’t ship out less than 24" total. That should last me a while. Hopefully it works for what I come up with - not sure yet what that will be. Place I called was TGG Sign in Fairless Hills, PA 800-566-1169.

correct.

From manufacturer (ABI Tape):
343f08d29552b9a42da0bd3e0e740b1b3452238e_1_666x500

4 Likes

I tried tjhe 582U and would not recommend it. I’ve found that it’s “medium tacky” adhesion is not enough, and will lift during cutting and engraving, allowing scorch and smoke marks to mar the material surface. If anyone has an alternative that works well, please let me know!

So, if anyone’s interested in a roll of 6" by 100yds (minus about 2 feet), I’m selling my remaining roll.

I’m curious what kind of surface you were using it on. 582U is designed for use on smooth surfaces like acrylic and has always worked well for me. It definitely won’t stick well to wood (especially unfinished wood). On something like unfinished baltic birch, the adhesion is so poor it’s almost like it has no adhesive at all.

1 Like

it’s odd you say it’s not good for BB, because i’ve had no problems with it on BB. just make sure you wipe any dust off first and use a good burnisher.

i’ve seen some others saying they have problems with the 582U, not just here but on FB. i’ve had very good luck with it on all surfaces i’ve used it on. BB, acrylic, leather, a couple of hardwoods.

it makes me wonder if there are inconsistencies and batch issues or if it’s just that i’ve been very serious about how i burnish it down.

2 Likes

I have limited use, but the exact same experience as you. Has worked like a charm for me so far on any non-PG woods I’ve put it on.

That would be my guess. I have found if I just slap it on, it peels off easy. If I spend a minute and make sure I burnish it good, I have NO issue.

2 Likes