Use vinyl transfer paper as masking for non-proofgrade materials

Interesting. People use it all the time - this is a really common brand in many of the GF communities. I suspect that one (or more) of three things is true: 1) they have no idea, 2) they don’t want to take on the liability, 3) people have complained about it not adhering and it has become an issue.

“Not recommending” something isn’t the same as saying it’s not safe. That said, a lot of people seem to have issues with that particular brand adhering (I can’t tell if it’s the product, the users, or a combination of both) so it doesn’t seem like a great loss.

3 Likes

This.

It’s perfectly safe to use as masking.

1 Like

Kinda like how clothing makers will just mark everything dry clean only when don’t want to go through the trouble of figuring out actual washing instructions.

4 Likes

Great to hear that! I found that other options are also TransferRite Ultra 582U (medium tack, for smooth surfaces) and 592U (high tack, for textured surfaces).

How does the VinylEase transfer paper work with plywood? Some have complained that the 582U does not have enough tack for that.

Thanks,
Sridhar