Using mustard to engrave metal?

Here’s a video where I test the idea that mustard is just as good as Cermark for engraving stainless steel in a new series called “Fact or Cap: Laser Style.” The theory is that the thiocyanates in mustard act as a blackening agent to the zinc in the stainless steel when activated by heat.

10 Likes

Here is one I did a few years ago:

6 Likes

I have wanted to try metal for a while but the stuff to use was down right more than I wanted to pay. I will give this a try. Thanks for the tip when/if I get it done I’ll post some pics. Make note of the if.

4 Likes

Very interesting! Do you think if you would’ve set the engrave to 2 passes it might have worked better, or no, because the laser doesn’t really engrave metal but just what’s coating on it?

5 Likes

I don’t believe so. After the first pass, all of the mustard was gone from those areas. I think that maybe a thicker layer of mustard, higher power, or lower speed would have helped.

4 Likes

Gotcha. Will be fun to try the mustard on something.

4 Likes

So from what I’ve seen/heard short term it’s a good idea, but it wears down fairly quickly especially if used(in the case I was using it with was a Daily Cary knife)

3 Likes

I haven’t tested it long-term (obviously), but it appears to be pretty solid. The Cermark has lasted on some tools in a high school makerspace for years, but I cannot comment on the durability of the mustard engrave.

5 Likes

Nope. Mine is years old and just as brilliant as the day I did it. I do think the metal is the key however. Different metals may not take the coating as well as this one.

8 Likes