Using the Passthrough with Illustrator (Beginner's version) šŸ¤”

Can someone please help with using the scissors in Illustrator. Whenever we try and cut the text at the line it doesnā€™t cut and there is no option to ungroup, instead it makes weird lines and only gives a group option

Text has to be converted to outlines first. (Select it, right click > Convert to Outlines.)

The Scissors tool only works on Paths (Outlines). (Text is a different critter.)

Alsoā€¦if you cut a path at a point, it attaches a new end node to each spot where you cut. In order to remove a section of a path, you cut the closed path in two places.

1 Like

So weā€™ve got all the way to Step 6 under Part Three. I just tried selecting the text to right click and convert to outline, but that option is greyed out. Iā€™ve wasted almost 10hrs trying to do this and still canā€™t get it to happen.

Is it locked? (Check the Layer palette.)

And have you signed up for the Beta test on the new Passthrough software? It does all the heavy lifting for you.

I ended up drawing a box to the dimension I needed, putting it over an area of lettering, moving that layer just under the text layer, selecting it, and then copy and pasting that selection into another tab. I then removed the lines of the box. It worked for what I needed. We have a basic, but I think I figured out a way to make up to a 28" long one piece sign. My prototype worked for the most part, hopefully tomorrow Iā€™ll have a finished product. I donā€™t know why the scissor tool wouldnā€™t work, but I figured out another way to separate the text at lease.