Valentine Heart Puzzle

Valentine-Heart-Puzzle.zip (1.2 MB)

65 Likes

Very nice and clever too. Throw on a photo engrave and it will be a keeper for all time.

2 Likes

How nice of you to share—thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing!!

Thanks! Just ran a print and you are devious :rofl::rofl::rofl: Your photo does not do justice to the madness…

1 Like

Unintended madness, I assure you. My fiancé never finished the puzzle I made her. Too many options. Thanks for trying it out.

1 Like

Thank you

Great concept an design. I made one for my sweetie but then looking at it. Concluded it would get me in trouble being overly hard to solve. ( i mean that as a compliment)
So, I made a much easier one, that should allow more focus on all the heart shaped stuff and benefits and less time solving the puzzle. Attached should anyone else be interested. simple%20%20valentine%2019

red is score, blue is cut.
added a square frame as well but that is optional .
letters are engraved

16 Likes

Nice design and not too hard to solve that it frustrates her :slight_smile:

Glad to see this design live on, with refinement.

1 Like

Thanks for the share!

@rpratt, I’m looking to refine my skills in building puzzles like this. Curious: did you build the file in InkScape or some other tool?
Thanks!

I drew it in AutoCAD. I’m an architect and that’s just easier for me.

1 Like

i took the svg file rpratt shared and tweaked in in inkscape to make the less complicated version.

1 Like

Thanks @rpratt and @mark14!
I want (one of) my next project to be a more complex version of my Little Puzzle, and the thing that’s daunting me is scaling up the approach I took for creating the cut/score lines that avoids duplicated/overlapping lines.
I built the underlying pattern by hand (in Inkscape) by just duplicating a bunch of hexagons and sticking them together. Good start, but LOADED with overlapping duplicate lines. Tried a bunch of ‘Break Aparts’ and combining and ‘manually removing’ experiments and finally just resorted to putting my original hex-crowd in a lower level and manually creating the grid on top of that with individual lines. Then used that collection to make cut/score decisions for the pieces.
It worked, but it was very manual, and I’m feeling like I’m making this too hard. Any tips for producing a trace of a pattern that results in (divisible) one-pass lines? Does Inkscape (or hey, maybe AutoCAD; I’m game) have some hidden feature that makes this easier? I’m not proud; I’m new at this.
Or is it just supposed to be hard? Which is also fine. :grin: