Vegan Leather Sourcing

This is one I want to try as well!

In the meantime I ordered from the link provided above for the vegan leather. Here’s hoping it turns out well.

2 Likes

I was wondering how much they charge for a cucumber pelt.

4 Likes

It’s here! Going to do a test with some settings in a second but I wanted to post a pic. It’s very floppy and feels great.

It’s a bit odd but in this application it’ll be fine. I like the fact that the back is ‘finished’.

Calipers call it a 1/16th of an inch.

4 Likes

Right? Super floppy. I was impressed by how soft it felt. I have yet to do anything with it, waiting for inspiration, but it wasn’t too expensive, so I just went for it.

1 Like

The fact that the shipping was flat rate made me laugh. It’s 3$ for a piece and $14 for shipping. Almost choked on my coffee. So I just ordered a bunch because if i’m paying that much for shipping you had best believe i’m getting my money’s worth.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s not like you’re paying for the weight there. It’s really light… so you pay for the dimension of their smallest box, probably… fill it up! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alrighty! Tester done.
Engrave settings - 1000 speed and 225 LPI
10, 20, 30, and 40 power from top to bottom.

I think my favorite is 30 power. It’s a nice deep engrave. 40 starts looking a bit choppy in person.
EDIT: I took the sample to a window for a closer inspection and at 40 the material started to melt at the edges. Definitely sticking to 30.
(The white flecks are from me wiping away the char, that’s not the material itself.)

Cut settings - 300 speed
50, 60, 70, and 80 from the top down.

This stuff cuts like butter. From the front I honestly had a hard time telling the difference between the power settings. You can notice a slight difference in the corners where it gets a bit circular (I know there’s a name for this but it escapes me at the moment).

You notice the difference when you flip it over. The backing of the material starts to melt at the higher power settings. It shouldn’t matter for this project but I think I’ll keep it around the 50 mark just in case.

This cuts with virtually no smell when compared with acrylic or leather. In case anyone was wondering.

I’m totally going to be using more of this in the future!

32 Likes

I was wondering just what critters Vega had to get the hides off of. They started importing the hides of the Nauga some years ago and we never bothered to learn what a Nauga even looked like, and now there are these saddle critters?

You can find on Youtube warnings that we are being invaded by Aliens from from a planet around the star Vega that we have become so inured to their presence they have even started opening their own Restaurants!

5 Likes

Note to self … do NOT do a double pass. Looks great but the GF made swiss cheese of it.

16 Likes

That is a gorgeous design!

1 Like

A friend of mine is an amazing artist! I take no credit whatsoever lol.

1 Like

Hello! I just bought some of this leather for testing myself, thank you for the settings! One question, did you figure out a good way to clean it after the engraving? I’m worried about the leather being stained black.

Thanks again.

The picture above of the 2 koi fish is fresh out of the laser. I didn’t clean it at all. There wasn’t any visible gunk. That may depend somewhat on the graphic. I did find that it wipes clean with a baby wipe very easily after my kids spilled a drink on my desk though.

1 Like

What do you mean by 50, 60, 70, 80 from the top down?

The power setting I used for the cuts.

Thanks for this! They cut wonderfully!

Thanks for all your info. It has really helped. I did some tests and I still can’t manage to get this not to cut through to the backing when engraving, even at 20 power. Do I need to set the focus height? Or maybe I need to adjust the speed? On small images (less than an inch) I don’t have a problem but as soon as I go to an inch or more it cuts through. Any ideas would be appreciated, since I’m SUPER new to this. Thanks!!

I always run 1000 speed when engraving this stuff. What are you using?

I was using 600, I’ll try full speed and see if that helps. Thank you!!

A speed of 1000, power 30 and 225lpi worked for my engraving. The higher your LPI the lower your power has to be or the higher your speed.

1 Like