Very simplistic functionality

Pretty cool, i made something for kinda the same purpose but it was for holding hot pepper below the surface of the water when fermenting them to prevent them from spoiling. Had to add some standoffs to the back tho because the peppers are so buoyant that i needed to use the lid to hold the press into the water but worked out well.

10 Likes

All that olive oilā€¦

3 Likes

:rofl:

As someone who makes some use of most tree trimmings, I saw that coming in the first sentence of that paragraph.

4 Likes

Very cool, too! Birds of a feather here. Yours is much prettier than mine, but same idea for sure.

2 Likes

As a Norwegian, I need to point out Lutefisk, itā€™s a Norwegian delicacy, but unlike most that you try when they tell you itā€™s horrible, and you try it and hey this is awesome.

Lutefisk ISNā€™T one of these. :face_vomiting:

They take perfectly good fish and put it in lye for a month until it has the consistency of Jello, take it out rinse it off heat it up and here ya go. Yeah it tastes worse than the description.

9 Likes

Growing olive trees is the one thing that would tempt be to live in a warmer climate. I donā€™t care how messy and much work it is, Iā€™d do it.

@Xabbess, I would provide the vodka or gin and fly out there just to have martinis and PNW oysters with you using olives from your tree. It would be worth it. Reminds me of the one time I made goat cheese. A student of mine gave me four gallons of fresh goat milk and there are only so many goat milk lattes I can have. So I made some cheese. I aged it for a few months and it really turned out great. I invited friends over and did a whole meal around that dang cheese. Itā€™s the pearl of great price that we are willing to waste so much time and energy getting that special product.

You are great at that with your Glowforge and I would imagine your olives will be good.

8 Likes

Marion, be prepared to be old and gray when we meet for our martinis! Ha ha. We can drive over to the abbey for a visit, then enjoy our time together. The olives right now are very smallā€¦about the size of the end of my pinky finger, but I have not given up hope that someday they will be very martini worthy. I will pass on the oysters, but will substitute with some shrimp or something. Iā€™ll be keeping you in mindā€¦sounds like a lot of fun.

So very true

3 Likes

See also: soft pretzels (lye)

2 Likes

Like so many things from the times before refrigeration, temporary abundance, means the wise try to have enough for famine times, Putting the excess fish in the ashes of the fires sounds pretty straight forward. Heck you might even improve the flavor using hickory ashes or something. Using straight lye sounds like a step backwards.

4 Likes

Good olive trees are everywhere in Southern Arizona as they do very well in that climate. There was a fairly large Nunnery that I passed going to grade school, but after 60 years a lot of things have changed so it might be condos now, but olive trees were there and perhaps a third of all the houses in the area. I now wonder if at sometime in the past they actually collected and processed those olives.

3 Likes

At least pretzels are yummy.

4 Likes

Yeah but now Iā€™ll think of Lutefisk everytimeā€¦ :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Genius.

2 Likes

I need to point out Lutefisk, itā€™s a Norwegian delicacy

If youā€™re tolerant of off-color content, and want a good laugh, look for ā€œManx beard club surstrƶmmingā€ā€¦ skip to 4:15 for the main event.

3 Likes

This video makes me laugh really hard every time I see it:

10 Likes

I was literally in tears laughing at thisā€¦ :rofl: :joy:

5 Likes

Me too! every time.

3 Likes

I even showed it to my husband and I was laughing just as hard the second time. Not many things tickle me like that!

3 Likes

Whoa! I could almost smell it from here! Not sure how he put it in his mouth.

3 Likes

I know! It didnā€™t stay in his mouth long, though.

3 Likes