Vinyl flooring

I’m glad you like it! So first of all these settings are only appropriate if you use the same material I used: Canson Watercolor Art board (it’s about 0.065” thick) or you might get similar results if you used a heavy chipboard or matboard. I did mask the board to prevent soot staining the painting surface. If you don’t do the masking, you will have to brush bleach over the surface to clean that off. The grout lines were engraved at speed 809 and power 50, 225 LPI one pass, and the perimeter cut was done at speed 200 power 100.

The advantage of using the Artboard is that you have a nice white surface for painting, and either watercolor or alcohol ink works well.

After coloring and sealing (not sure I even needed to do that), I used Versamark ink all over the surface then two coats of clear embossing powder.

2 Likes

That looks so amazingly realistic! Thanks for sharing the technique!

Another question, how did you get the embossing powder to stick to the white? Or is that even necessary? Sorry for all the questions! Hope you don’t mind. I can see this working with mat board too. I engraved some last night. Do you cut mat board with the GF ever? If so, will you share your settings??? I’m such a newbie. Thanks for your help.

You do need the Versamark ink pad (or a similar embossing ink pad) to get the embossing powder to stick. Just coat the entire surface with the ink then the powder, and heat to melt.

For matboard I use speed 250 power 100 to cut. Engraving settings about the same as what I use for the Artboard. Just start with those settings and tweak them to your specific material.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate you! I shared your design and idea in a dollhouse group and everyone is swooning.

1 Like

So glad it was a helpful idea! Could even try some spray lacquer (after cutting) to get a gloss more akin to polished stone/tiles.