Water resistant MDF

Hey guys, I have an inquiry for a commission for making some beehive insert frames. 40000 of them LOL but they are asking about using water-resistant MDF. Has anyone had any experience lasering this kind of material? He’s trying to find a MSDS sheet but I don’t think that’s going to happen

2 Likes

I’d suggest cutting the item out first, then coating them with either a clear glossy or matte coat.
MDF that already is coated may have a known/unknown coating that may not be pew pew safe.

6 Likes

I know of moisture-resistant MDF, but I believe it’s meant to be resistant to humidity, not weather. Marine-grade plywood would probably be more appropriate, but I’m not sure if there are issues with laser cutting it.

2 Likes

There are huge issues with cutting marine-grade plywood. The adhesives are a bear to get through.

3 Likes

That’s a serious quantity of bees. :smile:

3 Likes

There’s so many different companies and brands of this product it’s impossible to be sure without an msds for the specific product but it’s most likely safe to cut. They usually mix some various type of wax into the fibers impart the water resistance. I’m surprised bees will tolerate the smell laser cut panels.

1 Like

I would think that would be a job for a cnc router.

that is a LOT of burning.

3 Likes

I got stung Wednesday. The thought of that many bees gives me hives!

4 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Thanks guys!! It would be a huggee project if I win the bid.

Any advice on cutting this material? I just got the msds for the material they requested https://www.pbplywood.com/liveagent/717278-Safety-Data-Sheet-for-Moisture-Resistant-MR-MDF-

I hope you get the bid! It sounds like you’ll need to order another Glowforge, perhaps! What’s the thickness and size of the frames you’re cutting? I offer a smaller (10x15”) wood puzzle and that outline takes 3 minutes to cut with 1/4” Baltic birch; 40,000 of those would be 2,000 hours of cutting (or, a year of 40-hour work weeks)!

2 Likes

yeah, i was thinking this sounded like a job of the scale that really is beyond a reasonable workflow for the GF. it would cut WAY faster on a higher power unit and, at that scale, there’s probably a more efficient (financially and time wise) way to make them than laser cutting.

4 Likes

My thought is immediately CNC.

You might also start thinking about what you want to do with the scrap :slight_smile:

1 Like

CNC is slower (@ home/small business scale). I’d be looking at some kind of hammer die/knife that would cut the material really (like multiple times per second) fast. Same way paper is cut commercially. 40K is an enormous number - follow on activities are gonna be something…think of the packaging, boxing, palletizing, etc.

3 Likes

I agree. Hydraulic power, I imagine, is how most of these are stamped out.

2 Likes

beehive frame… interesting… is that a typical inside frame for a Langstroth hive?

1 Like

Thanks guys. Yeah If I won the bid I’d order a couple more units haha. I would have to. :joy:

1 Like