Wedding Invitations - Glowforge Project

Haha – you really don’t! Lesson learned, and everything for my own invites was rectangular that the print shop cut for me.

2 Likes

if you’re ok with printing in black (and on 8.5x11 sheets), it’s cheaper to buy a small laser printer and print them yourself. nowadays, a simple BW laser printer is under $50.

Most laser printers in that price range can’t do heavy cardstock… so ymmv.

Ugh. This. So much this. I’ve never been so disappointed in my printer as when I tried heavy cardstock.

2 Likes

THOSE… ARE… WONDERFUL!

As somebody who also designed their own wedding invitations, I have some understanding of what you went through. We didn’t have a Glowforge to help. :wink:

P.S.: I really wanted to make a General Hospital reference (Luke & Laura’s wedding from a bagillion years ago), but I really didn’t want to show my age quite like that… or the fact that I knew who Luke & Laura were… or what General Hospital is.

7 Likes

depends on how heavy you mean. i can definitely do 80# mohawk color copy card stock in my cheapo Brother, i’ve run quite a bit of that through it. haven’t tried 100# or more. maybe i’ll bring some home to test tonight, just to know.

probably not “any” cheapo, though, that is a good point. usually the “sticking” point (pun intended) on paper weight has to do with paper path. my brother has one simple turn, so it’s not too bad.

1 Like

lol we get that all the time!

4 Likes

Congratulations on completing a really nice set of invitations. I hope the rest of the wedding is as wonderful as this part.

2 Likes

I have done stock up to 110# on my Brother HL-3170CDW. Of course, stock weight isn’t the whole story.

Great foray into paper art and beautiful wedding invitations! Congratulations on the invites and the wedding.

3 Likes

Wow, those layers are just wonderful! The engraving looks great too. Another alternative is to engrave onto wood (you would engrave away everything except the text, and do it in reverse) then ink it up with a brayer and do a poor man’s letterpress with some kind of pressure source like a Big Shot, or just stand on the boards. Here’s an example that I did using a Big Shot.

4 Likes

Oohhhh! Those are beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration! I didn’t even think to do it that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are lovely. That’s a crazy amount of work for 29 invites, but I love the personal touch. We sent out about 200 invites, I think and just assembling them (they were layered into a pocket) nearly did me in. I have to say, as someone who did a lot of DIY work on my wedding (1000 origami cranes, to start with), there’s something really special about doing the work yourself where you can (but also knowing when to draw the line and farm it out!).

I am tempted to crash your wedding, as it looks like it will be a wonderful time, but unfortunately I’ve got plans that day…

3 Likes

Nicely done. I like the layered look.

2 Likes

Such a beautiful job! Totally amazing!

2 Likes

They look very professional! Great job!

1 Like

They look great! Plus Luke and Laura are getting married like on General Hospital. I’m aging myself now.

1 Like

Now we have a date and place for the first Glowforge convention/get-together !!! LOL :smiley:

2 Likes

Beautiful work and thank you for the GF settings. I’ve been looking to do cards and invites myself but it’s near the bottom of a LONG list of other projects. Congratulations and many blessings on you marriage.

1 Like

That layered look is amazing! Great work!

1 Like

This is very cool…I’m just in the process of doing my daughter’s wedding invitations…but I laser delrin and print in an old C&p letterpress printer. You are quite right…no way can heavy cardstock get through a typical modern printer. Also, cotton paper soaks up ink that is ‘spit” at it versus pressed into it…the result being less than crisp. All the layers are unique and beautiful and compliment each other. It’s a lovely wedding suite and you should be very proud sending them to your guests.

4 Likes