We're adding a warranty

The problem generally isn’t that other countries have VAT, it’s that the USA doesn’t. Introducing the GST (which is a VAT) in Canada was accompanied by a reduction or credit system in taxes upstream, e.g., for manufacturers. Now, items purchased for use in Canada have GST paid by the end-user. If the item is exported, GST is not applied. Looking at online shops in places like the UK indicates the same approach applies there, so I would not pay VAT on an item shipped to Canada.
Buying something from the USA for export may or may not require paying sales tax for the vendor’s state. But it definitely means paying all the “hidden” upstream taxes that you would (in theory) avoid if the USA had a VAT similar to many other countries.
Bottom line, those of us outside the USA are being taxed twice, to some extent, but I see the problem being with the USA tax system, not ours.
Apart from supporting change to more compatible tax laws in the USA, I don’t think there is anything Glowforge Inc.can do to lessen the tax burden for foreign buyers.
I too appreciate the introduction of a warranty, though 12 months on the basic would be nice :slight_smile:

If the US were to institute VAT, all prices would go up by a significant measure - not just to cover the actual tax, but also for the additional administration and handling of said taxes. You already know it’s a steep overhead, because that’s the fee you’re complaining about in the first place.

I don’t know that one system or the other is a problem, so much as they’re just different systems. Vat has significant overhead, which is what makes for costlier goods and imports - but on the upside it’s awfully convenient for consumers to see ‘bottom line’ pricing.

As an American, I, of course, oppose instituting a VAT type of system here. Because I already feel like I’m paying too much for everything. The price of almost everything has doubled here in the last 15 or so years.

Adding a federal tax on “expensive/frivolous” purchases would not only enrage just about everyone here, but would significantly impact how many large purchases people make, which I can tell you is probably way more than we should.

That said, we complain a lot about taxes here in the States, while being well aware that we pay far less in taxes than other comparable countries.

Someday this is going to catch up with us and bite us pretty hard, I think.

I would also have to throw in my agreement on this one. I would hope that given the incredibly successful month you had launching the product and the record-breaking sales volume the GF has garnered, that it isn’t too much of a financial stress for you guys to consider providing all models at least a 1 yr warranty. Not only does it just feel like a “standard” thing to do for a technical product like this, but also - as many in this thread have commented - it does send a disconcerting message about your faith in it’s longevity.

I know there’s likely tonnes of hidden complexities that we just don’t understand that factor in to this, and that they aren’t always easy things to work out with all the competing interests at play, but I trust you guys will do the best you can for the community. Really looking forward to receiving mine!

Thanks for listening!

1 Like

As a UK resident then yes, VAT is a pain as is the shipping (especially as I could’ve got it shipped via a pallet for $200-$400 had you allowed the end user to arrange this, but can’t as you can’t make allowances for individuals during the initial kickstarter period as you had to go with the best fit generic to launch) as opposed to the $954 it’s actually costing to ship, then you have to agree that a 6-months on a brand new untested mass-market product is kinda weak.

If you are unwilling to help with your international customers with more cost-effective shipping methods, then at least consider the 12-month warranty option across the board.

I “second” this post and it’s comments, beiving that the 6-month warranty (and parts only support) are too restrictive. I do hope for a better offer.

HI everyone. Would there be any options for owners to buy replacement parts once they are outside of the warranty period? If so, I am hoping that either a detail manual or a video is available to show how the part(s) can be replaced.

2 Likes

Hummmm, maybe I should offer to do warranty repair work for New England for those who don’t feel comfortable popping the top on their GF’s. HW repair and HW training is what I do for a living. I am a factory authorized hardware trainer for one of the largest computer companies.:wink:

@dan I don’t see any listing in careers for hardware repair/training.

1 Like

I had a conversation via mail with the support about this “issue”.
It doesn’t matter if the warranty is 6 month or two years if the customer has to pay the shipping (~900$) for the device.

You are in the lucky position that you selled devices for ~27.000.000$, so you don’t have to think about the export market.
But if you really plan to expand, you should think about service-stations arround the world, so the customers don’t have to pay 30% of the basic prize if the device has a bug…
(The pre-order basic edition costs about 3000€ including fees, taxes and shipping. With the airfilter the prize raised to 4500€, because the shipping is doubled…)

You get a new industrial laser cutter for about 12.000€, so the gf pro with airfilter is only a nice alternative…

In germany we have to pay the taxes and fees seperatly. So, I have to drive about 40km to get the stick from the customs. The taxes are 19% and the fee should be between 12-20%. This depends from the category the customs will asign the gf too.

There’s probably a pretty hefty expense for housing and staffing “service stations” in different countries. It’s more likely that there will be GlowForge dealers around the world that sell the GlowForge and provide support for it. Of course, they will take a cut of the purchase and repair costs. IMHO, the best bet for early adopters is hope that GlowForge has designed the machine so that it can be easily serviced by most users. I’m in the US and my Zortrax 3D printer (from Poland) also has an issue with high shipping costs. The same thing applies to my Tormach CNC mill and lathe - the manufacturer is in the US but lacks a service network to keep costs low. In both cases, the answer is to learn how to do your own maintenance and repair. Those are both a lot easier if the company provides good technical assistance and spare parts inventory. Zortrax provides pretty good technical documents but is a bit spotty on all but the most common spare parts, whereas Tormach is excellent at both and I can usually get even obscure parts replaced in 1-2 days. I’m hoping that GlowForge proves similar to Tormach in the support area.

Wow This was a major investment for me and to only have 6 months of warranty then pray after that it doesn’t break down. I feel a 1 year is an industry standard for electronics in general. If the Pro should have a longer warranty time then make it 1.5years and basic 1year.

So since I bought mine via credit card, I’m really trusting the fact that the purchase insurance on my credit card will be kicking in, in order to cover another six months…

Naturally, this depends on the terms of your individual credit card.

I purchased via Amex but have never had need to make use of their extended warranty. How does one go about doing that?

2 Likes

Hey Dan,

after my boss buyed a laser-engraver from china I know more about the technic and the problems that could come.
So I think the main problems will come from the lasertube and the mirrors/lens. Right?
If so, is there a way to increase the warranty for the glowforge, without the parts that are known as expendable items?

Greetings

A follow on question might be if the laser tube or lens/mirror set(s) have a time-based warranty (3 months, 6 months?). If so, you’d at least know maximum annual costs for those components.

nice avatar! I have those slipmats. they glow in the dark!

A china-laser costs about 450€. A new tube about 175€ and the mirrors and the lens about 60€…

I think the tube will be similar and with a liftetime of 1000-1300 hours calculatable…

But we will see when the glowforge arrive… :wink:

Thanks. I have the slipmats too and also some shirts and hoodies with the logo. I wanted to tattoo it on my arm, but unfortunately the DeeJay who created the logo in the 90s started again… =/

1 Like

Yeah Richie Hawtin is still around. I dont think he would mind =). I have a ton of friends that play DnB and have metalheadz tattoos etc. Everyone that saw them, even Goldie, thought they were rad.

Im a big fan of plastikman/hawtin. He was one of the first electronic artists I got into.