We're adding a warranty

Under EU law, companies selling goods to EU customers have to provide a two year warranty.
Not sure how this relates to US goods, but I do know that many US companies now have to provide one (eg. Apple) it might be worth checking.

2 Likes

Have no knowledge of EU law. But from what I have read If a problem occurs after 6 months, the consumer needs to show that the problem existed at the moment of delivery. In other words it’s not enough to say that a component wasn’t designed to last 2 years but that there was a manufacturing defect at the time of delivery. A crack, bad solder joints or something that the consumer can prove existed from day one. Stuff that wears out from use would not fall under that category. I would think enforcement would be pretty tough for things that come from outside the EU. Apple has a presence in Europe. Glowforge does not. This is only a non law guess on my part.

My inclination is to agree with you. I can’t see any way to enforce it either and US/EU trade arrangements are way outside my experience. I happy enough with my 12 months as I can’t really see it being worthwhile getting it fixed anyway as shipping costs are likely to be prohibitive (unless Glowforge manage to find a cheaper shipping option). For a $2000 round trip I might as well buy another and have the security of a new tube etc ( and a machine for spares).

2 Likes