Whale lamp out of baltic birch

Import the DXF file into a program like Illustrator or Inkscape. Then you will need to scale the pieces to make it the size that you want.

Scale the largest piece so that it fits into your machine…if you have a Basic or Plus model, that’s going to be a lot smaller than if you have a Pro model with a passthrough slot.

Then you will need to copy and arrange the pieces into multiple files for cutting one or two at a time - that design is going to take multiple sheets of material, even at a small size. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thank you. can I export the files from inkscape with the actual size of the pieces? Or do I scale it in gf app? I’m just learning, but I wanted to make sure that the slots will fit, and manually scaling overall object size will change them?

Hmmmm. You bring up a good point…you actually want to scale the slots for the thickness of the material that is being used, so you would technically have to scale everything else but the slots.

I don’t have that pattern, but you might want to take a look at it - there might just be one or two structural pieces that have slots, and those are going to take some work if you make radical changes to the size of the project.

But yes, any size that you set in Inkscape should be maintained when you save the SVG file.
(Make sure you are using the latest version of Inkscape 0.92)

Deleted.

2 Likes

there are a lot sellers on etsy - unless they have all disappeared. I’ve also found it on other sites. if you search for it you can find those other places

1 Like

thank you for the design idea, got inspired by your lamp and just had to make a smaller version out of clear acrylic

13 Likes

Way kool!

1 Like

That is really stunning!

3 Likes

Whoa!

1 Like

I would totally want one of these myself… if I had somewhere to put it

So I bought the design on Etsy and got it cut… but now what? I just realized I don’t have and assembly instructions. Is this fairly easy to put together? Does anyone have instructions on assembly (that they could share)?

i think thats the same one. just searched how to “assemble the whale lamp”

3 Likes

Thank you! I’d hug you if I could! I’ve been looking at this pile of cut pieces for an hour trying to decide how to start.

1 Like

No prob i know what its like to be there, it helps to get some outside eyes when you are stuck in a project sometimes.

I found a free design here: https://3axis.co/whale-lamp-4mm-new-dxf-file/qom4n8o3/

That’s another unauthorized (stolen) copy, like the ones sold on etsy.

https://avocadopt.com/ is the original designer. They no longer offer this in their store, most likely because of how many times it’s been ripped off.

At least this site is just trying to make click revenue.

2 Likes

Hmmm, that’s why I would never sell a design, I only sell assembled models, make them work at tracing the parts and make their own cut patterns, basically nothing you can do except waste time on the tedious process to sue for copyright theft, and if they’re in another country, forget it. Flood the market before the knock-offs emerge. ~What a warm fuzzy feeling to have someone compliment me by copying my designs :O)

3 Likes