What the kerf?!

I hope not ‘someday’ as in a far off dream it was listed as a pillar feature

3 Likes

If you tell it to cut a 1" square the laser will remove half the kerf from all four edges. If you measure from one side to the other you’ll actually be measuring the distance remaining after two “half kerfs” are removed.

In other words, subtract the result from 1 inch to get the full kerf width, don’t divide the difference by two.

6 Likes

I love that about Vcarve for the ShopBot - I tell it if I want the tool to run on the inside or outside of the line. That way it will be just the size I want it to be.

Makercase wants the 1/2 measurement though. That’s the kerf they use vs the full kerf you get when subtracting from 1. Probably should have said “divide by two to get your Makercase kerf entry”.

4 Likes

exactly that’s how most if not all cnc’s work. you design your stuff in cad and then when you move it to the machine you tell it the tool’s and the sides . you never fudge your designs because if you did you would break every motion planning element because it would be all collisions

1 Like

Correct…I put the additional step of dividing by 2 because the makercase asks for that…just habit…
Thats what the original question was asking…

1 Like

That’s a really good trick! I’m adding that to the vault!

1 Like

<palmsmack! /> I’ve got one of those next to my 3D printer. I’ve been focused on the caliper math approach – didn’t even think of direct measurement. D’oh!

4 Likes

Nothing about kerf is intuitive, I’m afraid.

The beam is 5mm out of the laser, but much smaller when focused. The observed kerf is material, focus, and setting dependent, though, as well as somewhat subjective.

8 Likes

Thanks for the explanation! Oddly enough, it clears things up for me! That is to say, it tells me I need to test before going full-scale.

8 Likes