WHAT THE WHAT! PRODUCTION UNIT! :squee:

I’m guessing it much less then 100 or at least not that many active forum members since I can count on my hands the number of reported emails.

2 Likes

Ya I was in that group and ordered a basic but no email so it looks like it was a mixed group.

4 Likes

It would be nice to see another tag for full production unit owner, like the Beta or Regular tags that we have now.

6 Likes

LOL, that would be all of us… I know what you mean. :smile:

2 Likes

Well then, a temporary tag or badge that might be deactivated after a significant number of units have shipped. When shipping is complete, maybe Basic and Pro tags could be introduced in their place. Eventually folks will want to know what the poster owns for context.

4 Likes

In the profile section there is a spot to list Lasers that you own

3 Likes

I dont’t think too much about who’s getting them. Only hope that they get them with zero shipping problems and they all work with no issues… then more will follow quickly I’m sure.

14 Likes

Good point. Fingers crossed for a smooth roll out. No one wants to see the GF have the same issues the Muse had.

5 Likes

Also a bunch of us regulars are international, so we will be waiting a bit one way or another. I am actually fine with that, because @dan has said, is right, they can work out shipping problems domestically then worry about shipping to Malta.

2 Likes

It’s also possible that some number went to the Maker / Youtuber community so they can start cranking out videos about how awesome their production Glowforges are! @dan also mentioned some TV shows…

And now that I think about it, it would make sense for them to prioritize Makerspaces, as that will expose the largest number of people to Glowforges and perhaps inspire them to buy one of their own. It’s probably easier to add more units to their production target now rather than after the line is shut down.

5 Likes

i mean, they have to do a test of final production shipping / quality / fulfillment / etc and this is a perfect way to do it, as a small first batch. the timing is simply because it’s maker faire and this maximizes their bang for the buck.

i think the message to take from this is probably the best proof yet that the current ship targets are accurate barring some awful unforeseen circumstance surrounding this batch, which i think is unlikely.

3 Likes

I’m sure you are right on this, and it must be a statistical nightmare to tell them just how many to make in the main run. Too many and they are left holding expensive inventory, too few and they are back to preordering instead of immediate shipping.

2 Likes

Congrats, I have to say I went back and doublechecked the email, spam folder, etc even though I ordered a Pro unit and it might be just a tad early, hopefully not too much. I probably won’t be able to sleep tonight, it’s like Santa’s coming

7 Likes

I’m afraid we don’t share production numbers.

My tweet was referring to the # of forum VIPs - someone was upset that the ~100 people with an earlier effective purchase date would affect the other ~10,000.

14 Likes

Are you actually shipping: present tense as stated in the BAMF interview? Will the handful of people who got letters see theirs dispatched as soon as they return their address?

5 Likes

I’m afraid we don’t share logistics details.

4 Likes

easy enough to know, if someone posts in the next couple weeks with their delivery.

7 Likes

Right? I have a feeling that they have several ready to ship Monday or Tuesday and then ongoing from there with how quickly you answered your email determining where you are in the queue. Poor sucker that used a work email could be waiting 6 weeks.

The emails were a big milestone but the first forever unit in a house or business will be even bigger.

10 Likes

This is excellent news. Hopefully this means we’re close to the end of the special VIP shipments and nearing the point where orders order date will start to drive the shipping a little more. The fact that I’m one of the first ~20 orders has nothing to do with my fixation on the early orders, honest. :wink:

9 Likes

I’m a little disappointed too, but I don’t generally verbalize it because I know they’re making an honest effort to communicate. I think that’s part of the problem – they share enough that the missing details are that much more frustrating when what is shared doesn’t move you any closer to the ultimate answer you actually care about. Namely, when can I have my freaking laser? :wink:

6 Likes