What's your favorite "thing" you've bought this year (that isn't a glowforge, for you who've received them)?

Not a WIS, as such, but a watchmaker… this is my new pride and joy, as I’m about to leave the company I’ve worked for the last 9 years and start working for myself…

Used for refinishing pivots on watch wheels, and it replaces one I’ve had for 13 or so years that isn’t as nice a set, or in as good condition…

Tom

25 Likes

oh, i think an actual watchmaker still qualifies as a WIS on some level, for sure.

that’s really cool. and working on a watch is beyond me. the extent of my tools are a case opener, case press, springbar tools (a few, including a tweezer style), and a couple of bracelet tools. i can change straps, adjust bracelets, replace a battery (for my wife’s watches), and that’s pretty much it. maybe lightly buff a case/bracelet or an acrylic crystal. beyond that, i’m beholden to your watchmaking brethren. i’m just a relatively new (5 yrs or so) collector.

2 Likes

LOL! I’m not a collector :slight_smile: I have one collectible watch (low serial number Doxa dive watch) that should go in for service but the only place in the US is in TX. Shipping it to someone far away and hoping it comes back (the mothership in Switzerland lost an incredibly famous one) has kept me from letting it go. Yeah I know I can insure it and the lost one was replaced but it wasn’t the same one that got lost and neither would mine.

I decided not to be a collector when I figured out I couldn’t take the risk of losing one. I’d be awful if I had a bunch of them. Definitely a case of our possessions owning us. I’ll let my kids deal with it when I’m dead. :smile:

2 Likes

i do know a couple of serious doxa collectors here in the US. i can check with them to see if they have a recommendation for someone in your area. Doxa, even the vintage ones, use common movements, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find someone recommendable in CT.

Alpha Elite 434 Wetsuit:

https://www.surfisurus.com/surf-wetsuits/

3 Likes

I LOVE watches! Would do…A LOT…for a Ceramic AP Royal Oak Ceramic Perpetual Calendar

4 Likes

That’d be neat. The mothership referred me to TX the last time I thought about it.

1 Like

No problem. I’ve asked the Q and will direct message you with any recommendations I get back.

I’ve been scratching my head on this question and took it as far as to ask my girl if I had bought anything this year that I could post here. Turns out I haven’t bought anything really worth mentioning this year…

Most of the cash has gone towards the construction of the apartment in the shed/barn/ hangar (I don’t now how to translate this). We’ll use the apartment to live in while we demolish the house and build a new one.

Now that said I’m going to lift over my favorite purchase from last year. And it was december so I’d almost count it as being this years favourite purchase!

New photo by Rein den Hengst
The blue one is mine. My new family car.

11 Likes

Only 4 watch lovers here? “Unpossible!!”…

lol

2 Likes

Black Diamond drill grinder.
I have looking for a tool to accurately sharpen small drills for a while. Then I stumbled upon 3 of these grinders at once. Sold two and ended up with one for free! I have an unreasonable love for this thing and the super sharp drills it makes.

13 Likes

I used to be and then I got burgled. I learned the hard way keeping all your watches in one nice display box is just very convenient to take them with you. I decided I was going to be a one watch guy. Omega Seamaster Titanium everything. Ever since I bought that one I’m really okay with having just that one watch. I’ll spend my money on other things now. Like a Glowforge…

6 Likes

crazy stuff there, both complications and pricing.

i’m a “keep it simple” kind of guy. Omega Planet Ocean, Sinn U1, clean and simple tool watches, mostly divers.

I bought many favourite things this year!

Nintendo Switch + Zelda
(Yes I remembered to pre order Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey)

Made my yearly contribution to Jimmy and Kate

2 Likes

ooooooooh I pre-ordered a Nintendo SNES classic!

3 Likes

shed/barn/hangar = Workshop
Living in it? (challenging).

2 Likes

Probably our house…

This is the view i have from my zafu as i meditate through the sunrise each morning.
Out the back is a National Park

20 Likes

The building has a 300 m2 footprint. We built the apartment on the first floor to live in. Ground floor level will still house the kitchen, 3 stables and the rest is is workshop. Plenty big enough to house 2 adults, a kid and 2 cats for a year or so while we build our main house.

1 Like

While I should say our house… I’m oddly enamored with my tankless hot water heater. One, it took a great effort to install, so there is the sense of accomplishment there, but just the ability to take a shower and have the water be a constant temperature… indefinitely. Heaven. I don’t have to worry about hitting the dreaded time limit where the water starts to drop in temp and I still haven’t shaved yet (that’s the absolute worst!).

Then again, my Kitchenaid appliances showed up on Monday… and I simply can’t wait to get that induction range into action!

4 Likes

Oh, it isn’t single enclosed space? Ha! I was thinking “Hangar”, so that got me to thinking that it was going to be everything within that space, dusty workshop included.

1 Like