When inspiration... fizzles

I like to look at Etsy Laser templates and design files for sale. I often buy a file then add my flare to it.https://www.etsy.com/search?q=laser%20templates

2 Likes

I’ve been going through the exact same thing. Had no inspiration, nor any desire to just make stuff that I already had designs for.
Then I had to interview a couple that run a school for esoteric arts… Yeah, I know, strange. But the husband is also an artist and makes amazing things. His Mr. Coffee has been transformed into a three foot tall work of art that still makes coffee.
He also made less familiar things, one being a spiritual energy device…basically a square box with a series of copper wire coils inside…but he made them into true works of art. I have no idea how they are supposed to work, but they were beautiful. So, that’s my current inspiration. Something strange that will sit on a shelf here, but it’s certain to be a conversation starter!

3 Likes

Have a notepad right next to your bed, and before you sleep, ask yourself to make something in your dreams. I realise it sounds weird. Most of my designs come from dreams.

4 Likes

I am right there with you. I am no artist, but I like making things. The problem is, I want to make either functional things or gingerbread. Since it isn’t Christmas, and since my family’s birthday season is done (truly they all have birthdays from September to March), I’m at a loss myself. Although I don’t really come up with the fabulous things I see here, I do like looking at them, I think of myself as a knock-off artist. If I see something I like, I’ll try and make that but with my own spin on it. So, I’ve just been printing ear savers and trying to think of something to do. I’m sure something will come to me eventually (or someone will post something I want to copy ha ha)

3 Likes

I can’t help you with the gingerbread but don’t tell me your pantry, all your drawers and closets are all Glowforge arranged.

4 Likes

You are correct haha. The only thing stopping me is how expensive the materials are compared to what I can just buy something plastic. But you are right the fun is creating and I probably will do that. But luckily for me work has been busy as ever, so I haven’t had much time to think about it.

3 Likes

Creativity is an abductive mental process. It’s about connecting things that you didn’t think to connect before. The calls from others here to go out and experience things, browse the work of others, take a break and think about other things and so on are all hitting on this. Those are ways of priming the pump: the more “unrelated” things moving around in your mind, the better the chance you will see a connection between two or more of them.

You can also exercise your mind to do it more readily. There is a famous anecdote about David Bowie using David Lynch’s “cut-up” technique to write lyrics:

“You write down a paragraph or two describing several different subjects, creating a kind of ‘story ingredients’ list, I suppose, and then cut the sentences into four or five-word sections; mix ’em up and reconnect them.”

You can also do something like that with an existing text: print out or copy some pages from a favorite book, cut the pages up into individual words or short phrases, put them in a container, pull them out and try to make sense of them in a new order.

There are all kinds of games and randomizers (like dice sets with words on them) to do the same thing. For example, make lists of materials, colors, places you might use it, themes, etc., then start picking collections of them and think about how those could make sense.

Here’s a video fo Simone Giertz doing something like that recently that went really well:

Not sure if that helps but, some things to consider!

6 Likes

Just a thought to help. What seems like a long time ago, I wrote a book about innovation called Knickerbocker Glory - A Chef’s Guide To Innovation In The Kitchen and Beyond. This is not a pitch, just a statement of fact. It was the book nobody ever heard of! When you are innovating, there are different exercises you can do help get you on track to new ideas. For example, think about situations, industries, groups of people that would not normally have a laser and ask yourself what would they bring to laser cutting and what would they make. For example - what would a bunch of cirque d’soleil artists make if they had a laser? What if McDonalds or Taco Bell required each store to have a laser - what would they do with it.? The idea is just to start thinking differently and getting a new perspective. As you think about these ideas, you might come up against obstacles or rules that seem to get in the way. This is another place to find ideas by figuring out ways to break the rules. Think about problems that need to be solved and how the laser can help.

This will pass. It is great idea in these times to look at new tools and such. Without new knowledge to make new connections it is difficult to make new things!

Keep at it and don’t be discouraged!

4 Likes

I find I get my best ideas just before falling asleep, or while in the shower… and usually thinking about what I could make that a particular friend would like.

4 Likes

It is literally never too early to start making Christmas (or whatever occasion you might celebrate) gifts.

I’ve got a pile going already. I’m not sure who is getting what yet but I have several things earmarked for gifts.

6 Likes
2 Likes

A wander through Etsy will highlight what you haven’t thought to make. Find something you like and think of how you could do it better, as example…I was looking at the square mood-lights and thought “what if they were round?”

1 Like

When I’m not sure what to make I take my wife to Hobby Lobby and let her wander around for a while. She then promptly provides me with a list of things she wants made. :smiley:

4 Likes

Pretty sure that should be a badge on here “Hit a wall”.

6 Likes

I have this problem all the time. Then I have the other problem of too many things running through my head at one time. It’s either one or the other. LOL

5 Likes

When I browse the Made on Glowforge topics or the endless rabbit holes provided, as well as when I am reading on the internet and fall across interesting concepts, I usually bookmark them to come back for inspiration to make my own creations based on what I liked or found challenging.
I am currently waiting for a replacement black ribbon lid cable for my GF and meanwhile have plunged into my inspiration well.

4 Likes

Thanks all. The well is still… dry - but I did find a few items in my Big Book of Everything (the book I doodle in) that I haven’t messed with yet so I’m going to give them a go sometime this week. I also bought this leather keyring kit at Michaels that I’m going to create a template in Illustrator for so I can start figuring out how to make these kind of things. Baby steps.

This drought is just weird because I can sit down and crank out wrap bracelets or wire weave pendants like nobody’s business, but creating things on the Glowforge has definitely been a steep learning curve. Like today, I was trying to figure out why my file wouldn’t load into the GFUI. It took me trying to load the SVG version when I finally got the error message about linked instead of embedded images. Jeez. Then the images I was given by my daughter didn’t work anyway sigh, so back to square one.

Maybe these couple of challenges will help get the creativity flowing… couldn’t hurt right? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Engrave and color some tiles, it’s always great.

2 Likes

That’s some awesome work there!

You know I’ve been wanting to learn how to do this but I don’t have any tile lying around the house at the moment. Looks like I need to make a run to the Home Depot, then search the forum for a tutorial. Or vice versa. :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.