Which Adobe Firefly feature are you most excited about?

i think this is important, especially for the example you shared.

i’m not surprised firefly did a crappy job of deadpool, super mario, and picachu compared to MJ.

it’s definitely less mature, but MJ has 6-8 months of public testing. i’m wondering if you compared what you got from MJ in august to the same prompt today in firefly if you’d see as much difference.

and i’m curious to see where things will be in another 6 months. adobe has a great deal of experience in AI in photoshop.

i think his notes later on in the thread are spot on.

5 Likes

Yeah I did say it was interesting.

Looking beyond the issues of copyrighted likenesses, firefly is visually far behind MJ in terms of coherence – think details like composition, overall figure anatomy, hands, relation of objects to each other. But, as you said, these things advance very quickly and it may not be that long before Adobe is as coherent as Midjourney.

Industry-wide, coherence is likely to plateau on our side of the uncanny valley, and then it’ll cease to be a competitive advantage. There will be other things that differentiate the image generation systems – speed, pricing, interface design, and entire feature branches such as Adobe’s plans to work with text effects, synthesis and integration with other types of AI (gpt-like conversational image generation), or text-to-3d models, etc.

It’s going to be an eventful 3-5 years.

3 Likes

yeah, that 6+ months lead time in public testing put MJ ahead for now, but i suspect adobe will advance even faster than MJ or Dall-e or the others because (a) their previous AI esperience with sensei, especially the kind of work they’re doing in PS) and (b) they’re just a bigger company with more resources.

for me, it’ll be even better than MJ if they include it in the subscription, then i won’t have to pay extra. but that’s not an advantage for everyone.

3 Likes

Hard to say. MJ is awfully nimble at this point. Seems like the major bottlenecks aren’t size of company it’s more about specific talent and GPU availability. Larger orgs like Adobe might run into the myth of the man month [AKA nine women can’t make a baby in a month].

It may come down to whomever’s got the best vertical cloud service integration and GPU supply chain. Nvidia is particularly strong in that area, as are Microsoft and Amazon. I can’t say about Adobe, do we know who handles their cloud hardware?

3 Likes

i don’t know who handles their cloud stuff, but the cloud is a HUGE part of what they do (i’m on a call with them right now about their enterprise CC libraries).

from what i’ve seen behind the curtain, i think adobe is more nimble in some ways than most big companies (and sometimes clunky like big corps). but considering how this is really related and part of their core in many ways, i expect them to be a strong competitor in this space.

3 Likes

I thought he looked familiar!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.