Why is this so satisfying?

For some reason, it’s super meditative and satisfying to watercolor paint these wooden mandalas. The score lines of the design keep the paint from bleeding into the surrounding areas. It’s like one of those adult coloring books on steroids!

Mandala designs are scored into Birch plywood.

44 Likes

Like that Celtic design! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Me too!

Add it to the list of chit I gotta try with this thing… (Man that list is stupid long!)

Love it!

2 Likes

Those are gorgeous!!!

BTW: I have a copy of Mathematica (it was a birthday present so I could generate flower simulations for making t-shirts and laser cutting) and it looks like algorithmic mandalas are a thing. They might make a nice generated highly symmetric pattern to interleave with your amazing human generated work!

If you, or anyone, is interested, I could have a go at generating a bunch of random SVG mandalas and post 'em somewhere.

10 Likes

Wow, that sounds really interesting!

2 Likes

Yes, please! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very cool! I think you could make a gift item out of it by packaging the scored wood mandalas with a cheap (less than $5 at Michaels) watercolor set and brush. I did something like that for Christmas gifts last year.

4 Likes

It is very satisfying to color within the lines! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I get you. I’m the same way. I hand colored/painted many of these little pins that I made, the same way. They are no larger than 2"…so not only OCD, but in miniature! And, strange as it may seem to others, I actually enjoy weeding after engraving. Rather therapeutic.

9 Likes

Wow I really like those. Great work!

1 Like

OK-- Inspired by this post, my attempts to export machine generated mandalas as SVG will be captured here:

2 Likes