Why not use a POWER STRIP?

Hi everyone! I have to change my glowforge to another room and I just realized i have no wall outlets available near… why can’t I use a power strip?? :pensive: any one else using a power strip with no problem? I am scared to do what the manual says NOT TO DO.
Thanks!!

Lots of previous discussions of this – just search on the term “power strip.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

A couple of fine discussions about this.

Read through those posts and see if they answer your question and point to a response you can live with.

2 Likes

I’ve been using an extension cord (~15’) with a power strip without issue since the day I got my machine.

4 Likes

I read a lot about the surge protector but not really about the power strip :pleading_face:

1 Like

There is no reason you can’t use a power strip as long as you obtain one with enough rating to handle the GF load. I think the GF is rated at 800 watts, so you will need a power strip with at least an 8 amp rating just to be on the safe side. The problems with power strips come when they are overloaded or daisy chained. Provided you have one that will handle the load, you will be fine. Just inspect it regularly and replace it if it shows any type of damage. I would probably get a 10 or 12 amp rated cord.

2 Likes

Except for that little matter of the manual saying not to. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t remember the explanation anymore, and don’t want to read it all again…sorry, not trying to be unhelpful, I’m just lazy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thanks a lot! this is the one I have right now, maybe you will know better than me if It will do the job or if I need to buy another one. (Glowforge basic)

I may just use it for a few days and then try to re-arange the glowforge but i must get some printing done this days.

Legal CYA. They can’t tell you that you can use one because then the user can go back to GF when the chose the wrong one and it burns up. I have been running mine on a 20 amp power strip with built in surge protector and in spite of dire predictions from everyone my GF has yet to catch fire.

The problem with a lot of power strips is they have cheap surge protectors built in. These surge protectors don’t work well, especially not in series with the built-in surge protector in the GF. A vanilla power strip without a surge protector and with a high enough rating to handle the power draw is the same as an extension cord with the same specs, just with the added danger (excitement?) of possibly being overloaded and blowing itself and everything else up if the user doesn’t pay attention to the power ratings.

My opinion, does not reflect the official word from Glowforge. Follow at your own risk.

4 Likes

Provided it is in good condition, has not been driven over, crushed, burned, melted, etc, that rating is well over the 800 watt rating of the GF and should be fine. If it has been damaged, DO NOT USE IT. It is not worth the risk to use a damaged unit.

3 Likes

Hahaha no problem! I read a lot about the subject but mostly about the surge protectors so I still have my doubts about the power strip :nerd_face:
To go against the manual or to be conscious thats the question! :grimacing:

I’m feeling compelled to move this to Beyond the Manual… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks @ben1 hearing that you have tried it with no problem gives me a bit of a relief. I will go for it at my own risk… cable is in perfect condition and it will be plugged to the wall :crossed_fingers:

There is no issue with “cheap” surge protectors, they will not affect the way the machine operates. The concern over multiple protection devices in parallel is unfounded.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this, for the most part. I have seen some of those cheap power strips fail even without being overloaded, hence my above statement. Not worth the risk, even if it is small. The risk comes when they are daisy chained and the load exceeds the reduced load capability of the weakest link.

Ok lol will relocate it even if I can’t print for a couple of days :joy: This is my second unit because the last one suddenly stopped working… will play safe! Thank you all anyways

1 Like

You’ll want to use as short of a cord as possible as well. Don’t just throw a 100 ft cord on it because it’s what you have.

2 Likes

I confess that I even had my pre-release on a power strip/surge protector from day one. It’s a beefy cord and heavy duty strip that I got from a school that closed. Built into the cart/table I have.

1 Like

Me too since PRU days. And that plugs into a beefy UPS. And everything is awesome…

3 Likes