Wifi Extender Suggestions

I have the 3-point Google Wifi system, but I was just too curious how one single one would do.
I would not put it past EITHER of those companies to throttle. However, I am paying pretty handsomely for 75Mbps from Comcast. I almost never get that speed.

I’m paying heavily for about 5MBPS. Usually I get only 4 at best. (Okay, I’m a real cheapskate when it comes to paying for services that have already been paid for a few thousand times over.)

I don’t blame you there! I just have no patience!

1 Like

UPDATE: when I got all 3 Wifi points connected, the app wanted to download some updates. It took about 10 minutes. Just ran a rest through the google WiFi app and it showed 116Mbps down upstairs right where the Glowforge will be sitting!

8 Likes

Most providers will throttle bandwidth tests other than their own, especially after you’ve done a couple. There’s no-one sitting there making those decisions, it’s all to do with prioritizing traffic based on type and source/destination.

I was a little irritated when my newly-installed service was only delivering 60% of the stated speed. Until the installer reminded me that N-band WiFi caps out at around 600Mbps! lol…

2 Likes

Interesting to know. And man, your speeds! That has to be fiber, right? That’s crazy! There is not a fiber option where I am at the moment.

Yup. 1Gbps. I’ve suffered for a long time (work from home in IT industry for 20 years)…

In Metro Atlanta, we have monopoly cable (comcast) and phone (att) providers = no competition = shitty service and outdated features.

2 Likes