Working Gears?

I am planning a little cosplay prop that I would love to have a working Gear Mechanism. Is there anyone who has experience designing working gear layouts? I need something that will raise two arms when a central point is pulled down, then lower them when its pushed up.

1 Like

There are many gear trains out there, but my first experience was in Inkscape - Extensions - Render - Gears -(two ways to make gears) that makes all the gears mesh so all the teeth are defined at once in a layout. A very fast and easy method though less precise than might be desirable without careful layout

3 Likes
5 Likes

Where are the extensions available from

1 Like

Under the Extensions menu

With Inkscape loaded, there is a list on the top, one of which is Extensions. Clicking on that is a long list that Render is on that list and Gear on the list that pulls down from that

You don’t need gears for this unless you want the esthetic. A simple four-bar mechanism or lever will do the same thing and will be much easier to design. The four-bar is if you want to add a vertical displacement between the activation point and the action point. The lever is for when the activation point and action point can be on the same horizontal line when in the neutral position.

2 Likes

It would be my guess that Steampunk wants lots of gears no matter if they are actually doing something or not :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Here’s a good topic with a few links to gear generators.

5 Likes

Steampunk doesn’t need gears; complex clockwork used levers and bars also so the Steampunk aesthetic can be maintained without the use of gears. In many of the cosplays I have seen bars and levers feature very prominently. Cogs, levers, and piston wheels are seen throughout. One could even go for a pneumatic or hydraulic system. Those have been done very effectively, especially with color dyed fluids in clear hoses.

3 Likes

It actually has nothing to do with steampunk so any working mechanism will work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.