Working on earrings

The score gave it a nice 3d effect

1 Like

Ditto. I was trying to figure out how they were cut but kept together when I realized they’re probably not individual hexagons all jiggling separately but captive in another hexagon, just a complex shape of overlapping hexagons. I thought it was a magic thing like the interlocking ring puzzles that can slip apart but look like they’re irrevocably connected together. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll take that as a major compliment! Thanks

2 Likes

Indeed. The scores around the edges of the overlaps make it look like they’re separate parts which adds to the magic-trick illusion. Very cool technique.

2 Likes

Thanks

Did you treat these to get rid of the burned wood smell? I can’t make things for my wife, because she hates the smell.

1 Like

Very nice!
Good luck with your sales, and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

No treating. The wood really doesn’t smell. But yet I’m used to it too. The 1/6 in acrylic is quite stinky when cutting though.

Nice! Are those laser-crafted jewelry stands that I see? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, the acrylic I made to “disappear” in my light box. The other is from thingiverse.com.

4 Likes

They look fantastic! Would you mid posting a close up of the brushed gold ones? I’m really curious how that material looks close up.

Sure…

7 Likes

That is very cool looking. So when it is untouched it just looks solid gold? Only after engraving does it have this affect?

2 Likes

It’s gold on black acrylic.
Here’s the site…

It’s soft and stinks when it’s lasered. But nice look.

6 Likes

Oh cool! Just picked up a sheet of that, didn’t have any idea how it would turn out. (Looks like gold jewelry.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just an fyi, and I know you know what you’re doing, but this needs to be cut at a low power and speed with several passes otherwise it melts easily.

3 Likes

Nope, I didn’t know that - I haven’t cut any of it yet, it just arrived. Many thanks! :grinning::+1:

(Oh and happy Cakeday!) :grinning:

2 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

Link to the thingiverse box: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1235030

2 Likes