Yet Another Wooden Spiral Bowl

Thanks so much! This is not actually where it broke - the bottom of the base broke when I tried to fit the two pieces together, and the spiral broke at one of the squares on the side. I’ll try sandpaper next time and try flipping the bowl, too - those are both really good ideas.

@elizabeth: Thank you for the information. I have zero experience with PG maple plywood. In my experience the PG walnut—and especially the basswod plywood—are very sturdy after cutting.

The 1/4" squares on the side of the bowl are indeed a fragile area. Maybe I should consider increasing the diameter of the bowl slightly to deal with that? I assemble the bowls by laying the bowl part on the flat glass top of the Glowforge and then inserting the frame into the four square holes—before flipping the bowl right-side up.

BTW; I did cut another 5-inch bowl with the new version #2 SVG design this morning and it came out perfect here—again in PG medium walnut ply. No sanding required! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Do you fit the two parts of the base together before or after you do this?

Before.

These are awesome! Thank you SO much for the files. I instantly printed the out using the Medium ProofGrade™Cherry. You made my wife’s day. :grin:

9 Likes

@wcwoodturning: You are most welcome.

That looks great! I’ve got to get me some of that PG cherry. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ooooohhhhh… I’m bookmarking this. These look like easy presents to make for people that will really turn some heads. I’ll pass the compliments on to you!

Thanks for the files!

3 Likes

Thank you kindly for the share! Just cut a pair out of PG Cherry Ply and they are beautiful. The V2 mod for the 5" works perfectly.

2 Likes

@dwardio: You are most welcome! To quote the A-Team’s Hannibal: I love it when a plan comes together!

Show us a photo! :sunglasses:

Here’s the first one I cut. The second is on its way to its new home. :wink:

4 Likes

I tried again, this time in acrylic, on the 5" bowl, and that worked beautifully. It took one little dab of glue in the center.

IMG_3327

11 Likes

That’s a cool looking bowl. It actually looks larger than 5" in your picture. :grinning:

2 Likes

Oooooh! That’s nice!

Colander!

2 Likes

@elizabeth: I wondered what an acrylic version would look like. Thanks for sharing…

The PG draftboard/walnut plywood SVG file’s slots were not designed for the ~0.7 mm thinner PG medium acrylic, so the glue would be required. Looking good! :sunglasses:

Oh I get it now, I first read it as “Zoolander” completely different. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The ~9-inch “candy dish” spiral cut bowl in PG medium draftboard with the random line pattern engraved on both sides of the legs and to the topside of the spiral. Coated in clear urethane spray paint.

This took a LONG time in the Glowforge because of the large area of the engraves. The random lines were bit-map images. Next time I will figure out how create the random lines as SVG vectors.

A gift. I like it! :sunglasses:

14 Likes

Oh, wow, engraving before cutting was an awesome idea!

1 Like

I really like that you engraved the pattern onto the legs as well, very nice!

2 Likes
5 Likes