Laser Etched Dichroic Glass

I use laser etched dichroic glass while glassblowing and was thinking that the glow forge could do this! I use Borosilicate glass (lab glass) which can be purchased with a coating that can be etched away or left.

Here is a example of a laser cut image before its encased in a marble

Heres a marble with the dichroic image sandwiched between clear

15 Likes

That looks absolutely amazing! From what I’ve read here, there’s not a consensus on whether or not a CO2 laser like Glowforge could do that - definitely something I’d like to test!

3 Likes

Boro is pretty sturdy stuff, so you are unlikely to shatter it.
Since you are already sandwiching it between layers of clear then I think your main concern would be bubbles where the laser etches the surface.

Of course as @aeva says, the best thing is to experiment!

It would be encased in clear after you etch it, its just a coating on the top off the glass that I would need to etch off

OK, I need to revise my opinion of borosilicate!
Apparently it has such a low coefficient of thermal expansion that you really can’t etch into it with a CO2 laser (at these power levels anyway).
I have no idea what that means for the dichroic coating, so basically I am going to shut up now. :smile:

1 Like

let me send you a sample piece to test out! :smile:
I know Dan said he wasn’t testing samples which makes sense but the offer is there!

Yea 33COE for Boro, soft glass is between 90-120coe. From what Ive read I think the laser should have no problem etching the dichroic layer! Il do some more research

2 Likes

LOVE THIS! We have a stained glass warehouse in Boulder that has lots of dichroic stock. Can’t wait to pillage that place once GF comes in. I’m imagining making some seriously classy goods.

2 Likes

Do they ship to France?? :disappointed_relieved: