Pre-Release Glowforge: delivery, unboxing, setup, first prints! :glowforge:

Thank you so much for the detailed photos and measurements! You have answered a question about my Glowforge table being able to fit the machine, that I have had for a long time. Answer: it will!

9 Likes

That looks pretty used. More than just a test setup & run-in.

All that setup seems to be contrary to what the target market would expect to have to do.

1 Like

Didn’t read through all the comments but I am suprised to see only a not especially thick looking outer box and partial foam pieces supporting the glowforge. Really doesn’t offer a lot in the way of puncture, crush or blunt impact protection. (ie impact from the corner of another box) I would think at least a complete soft foam enclosure or seconday inside box, or even a lot of foam peanuts stuffing the empty air spaces. At very least a thick cardboart top piece to protect the glass

3 Likes

I would hope that they have a plastic cover for the glass too, to prevent scratches.

From past discussions it seems as though Glowforge has tested the shipping box extensively so there is a good chance that it is adequate for the duty. Personally, I really dislike getting boxes with large volumes of peanuts when there seem to be much better solutions, like those little air-filled plastic pillows.

7 Likes

Dan’s family is here for Laser Thursday, but I just asked him and this isn’t the final packaging.

22 Likes

So even the packaging needs to be finalized - that makes it seem like there must a rather large punch list before the product is done.

or maybe they used the smallest box they could ship fastest for cheapest with fed-ex.

I’m sure if we’re patient we’ll get an update.

Got my first print done. It’s beautiful. Smells amazing. And first project is a ruler! Glowforge Rulz!

Shout out to @jbv, @morganstanfield, and my CO Glowforge buddies. And where are the Wisconsin Glowforgers. Having a New Glarus in celebration, Bubbler in honor of the coolant bubbling through.

54 Likes

WOW!! thats amazing! Your design?

5 Likes

Nice!!!

Enjoy your beer, you deserve it😉

5 Likes

Lookin’ mighty fine @marmak3261
I’ll drink to that. Cheers!

6 Likes

Looks fantastic! I’ll be looking forward to making one of those - I always need rulers, and they hide. :relaxed:

8 Likes

Oh, man – Twisted Pine is 2 blocks from my lab.

3 Likes

Glad to see you like our locking pins :slight_smile:

As it happens there are actually a number of custom fasteners in the Glowforge - when we say we built it from the ground up we mean it!

14 Likes

Gorgeous job on the ruler!
And that beverage looks yummy :grin:

2 Likes

The ruler is a free design at the moment that you use for your first project all set up. Stick the wood in. Let the material register. Place the design. Print.

Since there is a lot of discussion on the placement of materials I deliberately pushed the envelope for the second print in placing it by eye midway between the empty spot above the first cutout. It cut right where I wanted. Hadn’t checked the squareness of wood and only lined up left side. Jigs to position materials orthogonally will be useful or just paying attention by eyes. I know this isn’t Stefan Gotteswinter precision but there is potential.

41 Likes

Your ruler photo caused happy dances and waving hands here in the office! Glad you like it! So amazing to see one that I didn’t print myself :slight_smile:
Keep up the wonderful documentation, and thank you!

Credit where credit is due:
@madebynick designed the ruler originally, and I tweaked it for the pre-release setup process and manual.

23 Likes

Thanks for taking the extra effort to share these videos! So cool to see, and very helpful. Appreciate it.

4 Likes

My reaction to seeing the unpacking video…

22 Likes