1/2 in pine can I engrave it? I have the pro

If I can engrave it do I not use the bottom basket? Can I even remove the tray and still print?

Thanks in advance

Yes you can engrave it and yes you will have to remove the tray. You will also have to prop it up evenly so the top surface is less that 1/2 inch from the laser head.

1 Like

Thank you for your fast reply. Do you know what setting I would use?

If you use the search function, you’ll find lots of previous discussion on pine (and also on printing with the bed removed.)

1 Like

I recommend doing some test runs but I would start with 1000/60. You can always do a second pass as long as you don’t move anything.

2 Likes

Be sure you watch the job closely. Pine pitch can be as volatile as gasoline, and some of the pine I have bought lately has a high resin/pitch content. Fire is not something you want.

4 Likes

If you laid it out and with the machine turned off move the gantry and head over the piece. Far better for something to hit that way. At that fine of detail every machine is different I have used a few thousandths over the half in after testing it that way. the problem comes with the shroud for the fan that is hard to see but if you open the front when moving it around you will see.

1 Like

I’ve found that engraving pine makes lots of gooey residue that’s hard to clean out of the inside of the GF. YMMV but it’s not something I’d like to try again.

2 Likes

Glowforge in Amber? Hmmm a point of info about engraving amber.

1 Like