1/8 Birch Plywood (not proof grade)

Hollywood FL

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, this is definitely less fancy with 3 plys rather than the 5 that the birch has, but if you just need something smooth that cuts well this is great stuff.

1 Like

That definitely looks like meranti. When you engrave it, the grain gets very prominent, which can be good or bad depending on that you like… the sheet I got runs thinner than baltic too, closer to 0.11". How thick is yours? It’s also designed to be bent, so it tends to be really flexible. Sound about right?

Here’s an engrave (taken from 2 angles to highlight detail):

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s a bit of a drive for me.

2 Likes

Interesting, I think I found the product page:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-8-in-x-8-ft-x-4-ft-Bending-Lauan-Plywood-1402183/205444860

Doesn’t seem to be available at all locations and isn’t something they’ll deliver. I wonder what would happen if you asked at customer service at your local Home Depot.

2 Likes

Not available for me. :cry:

1 Like

This item is not available in any stores within 100 miles of 22031.

:sob:

2 Likes

Same here.

I got mine at a wood supplier that is now out of business. The company that purchased them might carry it, but I havent asked them yet. Since I have a good supply or baltic, the meranti doesnt offer a ton of utility, it’s not the same thickness so my existing designs that rely on thickness are not easily used. I tend to just stick with the baltic.

1 Like

I use that cheap birch plywood (about .20") from Home Depot. I cut this at full power, 200 and 2 passes. Very happy with results. Of course I had to tape it all first.

18 Likes

i was just curious to try it. i saw the “etches darker” part and was intrigued.

i do have a couple of places to by 60x60 sheets of BB to get cut down locally.

2 Likes

That is really nice. I could see lots of people wanting one of those. Great job. :grin:

1 Like

Here is the product sticker and a fish sculpture I made with it.

13 Likes

I have found some good pieces at home depot (not birch). The cheap stuff is labeled underlayment plywood. If you go in person, you can pick through and find the good ones.

3 Likes

ive been using a lot of baltic birch and I simply use the proofgrade setting for medium bosswood…works perfect…so far…

1 Like

what’s ur cut settings for the birch wood 1/8 0.125 ?

1 Like

I use the proofgrade settings for medium maple ply.

3 Likes

does it give u a good cut? cause I tried the 200/full power and it barely made a dent.
I tried cutting it with 182/full and there were parts that were cut and parts that weren’t.

1 Like

Try this process.

4 Likes

It is possible that the wood is slightly warped - and not laying completely flat

Maple , Oak, birch really any wood even if it is warped I can still make it look good, I use any size big or small as long as it fits I use it.

4 Likes