12 Edge lit Centerpieces for fundraiser

I just finished up 12 centerpieces for the SPARK Museum Gala/Auction on February 29. Each table will represent an important electrical invention or discovery, as indicated by its centerpiece. We’ll also be auctioning off the centerpieces at the end of the evening! The towers are scale models of Nikola Tesla’s Wardenclyffe Tower, built in Shoreham, NY around 1915 or so.

I designed the tower to scale in Illustrator, using an old photo as a guide. The LED bases are hidden behind a cover made from “living hinge” plywood.

92 Likes

Nicely Done!

4 Likes

Wow - those turned out so great!! I know the attendees will be impressed.

3 Likes

I’ll take Shockingly Cool for 500, Alex.

9 Likes

Absolutely amazing! These are the best examples of edge lit acrylic I’ve seen in a long time. And the towers are so very cool!

6 Likes

They look really good! Nice work!

5 Likes

These are really impressive. I am also amazed that they are completed and the event is a month away. How is it even possible to complete such great work so far in advance of the deadline?

3 Likes

Awesome! Fantastic designs… I love the use of the hinge! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The graphics on each are amazing on their own, but the whole thing turned out awesome. The addition of the living hinge to hide the base is really great too. Love this!!!

3 Likes

Thanks folks! I forgot to mention they are 16” tall, in case you were wondering. The tops attach with a magnet, for easy removal to change the batteries.

4 Likes

What an awesome set of designs and cool out of the box thinking! These should bring in big bucks at the auction. Well done!

1 Like

Awesome. I immediately recognized Wardenclyffe Tower as I’m a huge Tesla fan. Best edge lit design I’ve seen yet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

AMAZING! How can I get tickets to the gala so I can get in on the auction!

2 Likes

That is an amazing display of scientific discoveries and I especially like the way you disguised the LEDs. :blush:

1 Like

https://www.sparkmuseum.org/annual-fundraiser/

2 Likes

That your living hinge cover looks enough like the normal top to Wardenclyffe is an extra bonus! I’d definitely be bidding on the dual Wardenclyffes!

Wardenclyffception?

1 Like

My new favorite. They are beautiful and so creative. :heartbeat:

1 Like

Everything has been said. Such an inspiring project. The tower model, the base concealment, and love the actual engravings! Really spectacular!

1 Like

So awesome! The part I like best is that you incorporated several different build methods in one piece. Flat cut pieces assembled into 3D shapes, living hinge, 3D engraving, edge lit panels. Nice!

2 Likes

Thanks Andy. There are a couple of other places I used the gf that you can’t see:

1. cut the circle of felt that is glued to the bottom
  2. engraved an inlay on the top of the tower that holds a magnet (the magnet attaches to to a small steel plate that is stuck to the bottom of the LED puck with double sided tape). Makes removing the top really easy to change batteries.