13 Things GF needs

The pass-through isn’t really a door. No way for the software to know if is “open”. If the front door is open it’s like having thelidopen - there are interlocks to prevent it operating.

Fair enough. Per above, I have a basic so anything I say about pro’s is conjecture. But I was confused why no one had mentioned the pass through in response to all the fuss about the lid not opening.

Pretty sure it retains zero or near zero information from job to job from a hardware perspective. After every job, the lens focus mechanism in the head calibrates (the clicking).

I wouldn’t mind an override button. Just use the focal height I assigned and run.

The UI is a little confusing here - when you close the lid, “scanning” is the process of acquiring a new photo and processing it. When you print, the scan involves actually shining the low-power laser on the material and measuring its height. We chose the low-power laser’s location based on where you’re about to print, which we don’t know until you hit print.

1 Like

Multiple passes on the same print should definitely not appear separated as you describe.

We’ve measured the time savings for optimized pathing - it’s very small, so working on it hasn’t been a priority. Most of the time is spent cutting or engraving, not moving between cuts. Still something we want to do, but the ROI is mostly us being less annoyed at our prints. :slight_smile:

We do appreciate all feedback about how your Glowforge is working for you. And we are definitely working on lid camera alignment.

4 Likes

It happens often, sometimes not, but can be a half millimeter or in extreme cases over an inch.

Slow big circles do fine, complex and long cuts before going back over it not so much.

Occasional cases where there is a glitch and it recalibrates, the result is closer to accurate but not the same path as was already done that was less accurate.

I have gotten into the habit of turning the Glowforge off for 30 seconds and back on when there is not a repeat need as yet.

are you talking about printing, finishing the print, then sending the same job again? or are you talking about sending a job where you tell it in the GFUI to make multiple passes in the dialog box?

1 Like

Both are issues. I have noted on several occasions when I ask for three passes on the same layer and it makes those three passes in totally different places.

Another but very similar case is when the cut did not go all the way through and I try and recut the same piece on the same pass. I am very careful to set up the situation where I could take the piece out and replace it back exactly as before. In a similar manner many times it works and some times it does not. In those cases the position of the piece is exactly as before.

that sounds like something is broken or working incorrectly. especially the first para. i’ve never had that mess up.

1 Like

A more infamous example. This was three passes low speed and low power. It went all the way through each time, and each time a couple millimeters different. The circles above were the same and did fine.

That piece can be you poster child for the problem. I can even message you the svg. The detail is fine enough that the stop/start blowouts weaken the piece considerably, and I made efforts in the design to reduce them.

It could look very nice bent into a lamp but several tries have not succeeded as yet.

One feature I think the GF needs is a device temperature display on the GFUI. If my GF thinks it’s too hot and needs a while to cool down, tell me what the current temp is as well as what the target temp needs to be before it can resume cutting. Then keep updating the temperature value, so I can get a better feel for how long it will take to cool down.

4 Likes

Is it worth $10 to you?

https://www.amazon.com/Wrenwane-Digital-Refrigerator-Thermometer-Operation/dp/B011LM7IY6/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1526401140&sr=1-3&keywords=small+digital+thermometer

Seems like you could probably find a spot to throw that in the GF.

I’d still like to see a coolant temp reading rather than ambient temp reading. It’s more telling.

Because ultimately, the coolant needs to get to an in-threshold range.

4 Likes

Is it worth $8.55 (and potentially voiding a warranty depending on how you rig it) to you?

AcuRite 02067M Digital Thermometer with Humidity & Wired Temperature Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0AGWAC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0jY-AbWJ395CA

And the plus on that is that if you have an Acurite weather station (which I do), it will sync up to that :slight_smile:

This is more like what I was wanting. Having ambient temp does very little. But knowing what the coolant current and target temps are would be much more helpful. Sometimes the “will resume in a few minutes” message can remain on screen for an hour or more until the GF determines it is cool enough to continue.

BTW; this wouldn’t be as much of an issue if I already had the GF filter. Right now, the GF has to sit in my Florida Room for venting reasons and that area is not air conditioned. I usually have to wait until the evening/night time for it to be cool enough to print uninterrupted.

2 Likes

I’ve had this happen to me as well. I was experimenting with de-focused engraving on acrylic and I tried one test using multiple passes. Part of the second pass was shifted downwards by almost 0.25in. Note that this happened during multiple passes of the same print job, not a case where I finished a job and then printed over it again. I suspect there is a SW glitch somewhere in the code that causes this to happen intermittently when a perfect storm of parameters align.

1 Like

If at all possible, bust a hole in your wall and vent from where you want the GF. Cancel the filter order, and voila, found money.

Look at it this way: however much it would cost you to setup a vent, I bet it’s cheaper than the filter…

Even if you go hog wild like @dwardio, I bet it’s cheaper than a filter. And no media to replace. And no “huh that filter didn’t work perfectly, and now I smell acrylic for days”…

1 Like