18" acrylic outdoor sign - gluing to wood support - what glue to use?

Made some large OUTDOOR acrylic signs for a local business. They are mounting them on wood. What would be the best glue to not only hold them together, but to last in the weather/heat/rain, etc?

Thank you!

3 Likes

VHB is likely the most reliable solution. It’s designed for mixed materials and outdoor exposure.

6 Likes

I’ve never heard of that. It’s a glue, or a tape?

1 Like

It’s a whole line of double-sided tapes from 3M, some are commonly available to consumers.

2 Likes

Wood screws w/ rubber washers?

1 Like

Super glue (cyanoacrylate) is the main one that will bond acrylic and wood, but even the vapors can leave a residue on the acrylic that needs to be buffed out. Not much will stick to acrylic. Some epoxies may work, but it depends. Screws are far better if possible, just make sure not to crack the acrylic by tightening too much.

2 Likes

reason for rubber washers

1 Like

Thanks, but they don’t want to alter the sign if at all possible.

1 Like

I think they are going to try one of the EXTREME mounting tapes such as was mentioned above, or a Scotch/T-Rex that is suitable for weather and holds 30/50 lbs - which the signs are probably no more than a few pounds each. Thanks for all the suggestions! :blush: :clap:

3 Likes

if you are going to use a tape product, make sure to clean the wood surface well beforehand.

3 Likes

I use starbond glue , get it on amazon, its like crazy glue on steroids! and we have been making door signs for months and never heard of any issues of a sign coming apart yet.

2 Likes

I saw this question on Amazon and it made me lol. :laughing:

5 Likes

I’m sure this advice is well beyond the due date, but Lexel is a sealant and a glue. They sell it at Lowes. Stained glass makers swear by it. After I bought my first tube, I noticed it looked and behaved a lot like E-6000 which is also a good bet and found at Walmart and most craft stores.

3 Likes

WELCOME and that IS so good stuff you got there , but I live off Starbond and don’t let it hit your skin, there’s nothing can dilute it and it dries quick, almost lost some finger prints a few times. Some will say have spirit minerals near by but don’t count on it… a friend of mine glued his fingers together and had to go to the hospital for that shizz

1 Like

This is the BEST website. Choose your materials and the glue suggestion will appear.

3 Likes

One of the best websites I have ever seen is thistothat.com. You’ll be presented with two text fields. One for “Attach” and one for “to”. When you drop them down, you’ll see choices for all kinds of materials and they will give you advice on which glue holds best. JimmieWayneWestie just beat me to the punch.

1 Like

I have been using that website for many years—-love it!!I love your profile pic!!

1 Like

Tried Starbond based on your praise and, by Jove that stuff is GOOD! Thank you for the recommendation.

2 Likes

the stuff is strong and unforgiving lol

WOW - never knew about this site! Thanks!!!

1 Like